Chapter 34

A.N. At first I wanted to publish this tomorrow to make sure that you have a new chapter everyday, but then I realized I wanted to see your reaction so bad that I preferred to publish it right now. I hope you will enjoy it. 

"Because I love you, Way" Pete responded instinctively, then he realized that those words weren't just in his head and that he actually pronounced them since he noticed the expression of clear surprise on Way's face. That confirm of Way's initial suspicions was so overwhelming that no matter how hard he tried, Way wasn't able to formulate a good response. Pete was about to turn away, interpreting Way's silence as a no, but then Way hugged him so tight that he had to stop overthinking.

"I didn't exactly expect this reaction but I can't say that I'm disappointed" Pete added jokingly as he started feeling a little nervous since things happened so fast. Charlie was near the stairwell and thanks to Babe's sense he managed to hear their conversation, so when Sonic was about to get upstairs looking for Pete, he immediately blocked him.

"Have you seen Pete?" Sonic asked, Charlie quickly nodded and grabbed his hand, before he could proceed and disturb Way and Pete's moment. Even though they had a rough relationship, Charlie actually felt relieved when he finally knew that Way wasn't destined to be alone, but he could finally have someone by his side.

"Yes, he's upstairs in his office, but he's busy right now, you better not bother him. Come with me, let's see if I can help you" Charlie said and pulled Sonic away before he could mess things up.

"Way... do you like me back?" Pete asked as he was tired of waiting.

"Yes... I think I like you, Pete... I don't know if it is just because of what you did for me and for my friends but I feel so... safe when I'm with you... and not just that I ... ummm... I feel like I want to stay with you..." Way replied. Then he felt the instinct to pull Pete even closer, he closed as their lips were almost touching, but then he quickly pushed him away.

"Way? What's wrong?" Pete asked preoccupied. He looked around, thinking that maybe Way stopped because there was someone looking at them, but it was just the two of them, so there had to be another reason.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry Pete..." Way added and rushed out of the room. He hated that feeling so much. Was that his curse now? Whenever he had an intimate moment with the man he loved, he had to relive the feelings he experienced in that facility? Why did that asshole have to kiss him like that... so that even the purest sign of affection could open his wound all over again?

Pete followed him and found him sitting at the end of the bed, hiding his face with his hands.

"Way... talk to me, please"

"I can't ask you to endure this, Pete... I really can't. How can I expect you to love someone who can't even stand a kiss because of what Tony did? You... you deserve better..."

"Way..." Pete said and gently moved Way's hands away and wiped his tears, he slowly raised his chin and added:

"I just want to see your smile... let me stay by your side... that's all I'm asking for"