Chapter 52

"Way..." Charlie said as he recognized the steps of the young enigma walking down the corridor. Way turned and gave a look inside the room, seeing Charlie close a book and put it back onto the night side table. Charlie smiled politely at him and gestured him to come inside. Way nodded and walked into the room, at first he thought that Charlie simply needed something, but then the special alpha patted a spot next to him on the bed and waited for Way to sit down.

"Aren't you going to come downstairs to eat with us? Lunch is almost ready" Way said as the silence between them was getting pretty awkward. He didn't really know what he could possibly want from him and Charlie's apparently shy behavior wasn't helping at all.

"No, Jeff said that it is better if I eat here for now... he says that I should recover a little more first" Charlie replied. That sentence made Way feeling even worse: a few weeks ago he would have thanked the universe for putting Charlie under so much stress, and even thinking about it, only made Way feel like the worst person on Earth, worse than even Tony, who at least didn't lie to the person close to him.

"I... I see... well, is there anything I could do for you, Charlie?"

"Actually... yes... you know Babe better than anyone else. I know that I shouldn't use his senses to overhear other people's conversations, especially Babe's, but it happened and I can't stop thinking about it" Charlie responded after a while. Way shook his head and put a hand on Charlie's forearm.

"You don't have to feel guilty for that, it is absolutely normal. You can't even imagine how many times he overheard what I was doing. Once he even managed to listen to a musical I was watching and to tease me he started singing the songs, although he changed the lyrics to make them quite indecent" Way said laughing although it was a lie, he knew Babe very well and he always made sure that whatever he did was impossible for Babe to notice it.

"Really? Well... that isn't the problem... I heard him complain about losing his powers. I knew he was mad at me at first but I thought he moved on... I... I don't want him to suffer because of this..."

"I'm sorry Charlie, but you should know that my power only works for short periods... and... and I don't want to use it on Babe or on anyone else ever again" Way intervened as the special alpha didn't seem to continue.

"No... I wouldn't ask you for that, I've learnt my lesson. The only way for Babe to get his power back would be my death..."

"Then he should accept his fate and move on! I'm sure that he loves you enough to accept a little sacrifice and live his life as a normal alpha. After all, he already has the looks and athleticism that an average person doesn't have, so there is no reason to complain about it!" Way exclaimed irritated.

"Way please, don't react like that..." Charlie begged.

"Do you have an idea of what you are talking about?" Way asked.

"I... I heard that I don't really have to die... I mean... If my heart stops for just a few seconds..."

Way stepped back.

"Charlie... let's admit that everything goes as planned, do you think that Babe would be happy to receive his power after almost losing you!? Don't you see the madness in your plan!?"

"You said it... almost..." Charlie replied putting a certain emphasis on the last word. 

A.N. news for the new book since this one is reaching its end: I'm working on it and it will be a PeteWay / KentaKim book.