Chapter 26

"Would you mind explaining why you're all shouting down here? I'm doing my best to keep Way calm and your behavior surely doesn't help!" Pete complained irritated and disappointed after he reached the group in the kitchen. Everyone, except Charlie, looked down as a form of silent apology, however Charlie couldn't accept to be scolded by Pete too, so he intervened:

"You can't ask me to accept that Babe always blames me for anything!"

"I don't care what was the reason of your argument. Way is my priority and if this means that he has to stay in a calm environment, then I will make this house the calmest place on Earth, is it clear? If you want to face Babe, then do it without shouting... and Babe, this isn't the right moment to blame one or another, we just have to help each other right now" Pete responded and took a tray to take Way's food upstairs.

Pete slowly opened the door of Way's room. He looked inside and found him on the bed, looking at him. Pete could feel his heart melt with joy as he realized that Way, after finally recognizing who was coming, smiled at him as a sign to show that he trusted him.

"Here is something for you to eat. Jeff made it, but if you don't like it, just tell me what you prefer and I will cook it for you" Pete said as he was feeling a little uncomfortable because of the awkward silence that was filling the room. Way realized that and at first he really liked that Pete was taking so much care of him, but after a few moments, he thought that if Pete was feeling uncomfortable it was his fault, if Pete risked so much... it was still Way's fault.

"Th... thank you, but you don't have to worry so much about me. I just... nevermind" Way added. As soon as he tried to ask for something, he knew that he didn't deserve it and so he just changed the topic. Why would anyone do something for him after all? They saved him just because they pitied him, what else could be behind that deed?

"Way, please... I know it is difficult but if there is something that you want, then say it. I'm willing to help you but it would be so much easier if you could... openly talk to me" Pete insisted, and so finally Way replied, although he turned away, fearing to get judged.

"I just wanted to ask you if you could eat with me. I know that my teammates are having their meal together but I don't feel... ready to face them. At the same time though, I don't want to eat all alone... but it is just a silly thought, ignore it"

"Give me a minute to go to the kitchen and grab something to eat, then I'll keep you company, ok?" Pete proposed with a smile and Way's sense of being useless started to crumble under the growing affection he was feeling towards Pete.

Two minutes later Pete was already back in Way's room with his own plate. He sat a little distant from Way, as he knew that he didn't really enjoy physical contact, and tried to chat with him, making a few jokes that managed to make Way laugh. After a while though, Way asked him for another favor.

"Pete... do you think that Charlie will try to absorb my power again?"