Chapter 37

Pete's assistants, who were in a car parked in front of Babe's house, didn't suspect a thing at first. The guy who went to visit Babe just left the house as calmly as he arrived. There was no reason to fear a kidnapping, given that they saw nobody else on the road. Pete told them not to come too close to Babe, knowing that he would have opposed them. That's why they took so long to realize that Babe wasn't in the house anymore. They couldn't trace his kidnappers, although it was obvious who could be behind that.

"Thank you anyway..." Pete said at the end of the phone call with his assistants as they informed him about Babe getting kidnapped. Pete put the phone back onto the table and rubbed his eyes in frustration.

"They took... Babe" Charlie whispered. He was at the door of Pete's office. The CEO turned, realizing he forgot to close it as he entered to listen to his assistants. He was about to respond, his mind desperately trying to figure out a way to explain the whole situation without making Charlie even more stressed, given that Charlie seemed much weaker because of his recent habit, however Charlie kept repeating those same three words "They took Babe..." no matter what Pete tried to say.

"It is true, Charlie, but you don't have to worry about it, they've already found a way to take him back, trust me" but Pete wasn't exactly a good liar.

"It's my fault... it is my fault... I made him angry and he left because of me... if... if they do the same they did to Way... how... how could I look at him in the eyes after that?" Charlie replied as he was getting increasingly anxious.

"Jeff! Come here please! Now" Pete shouted as Charlie started to lean on the wall as he felt his legs getting weaker and weaker the more he repeated those words. Jeff quickly rushed to help his brother, he grabbed him by his shoulders and told him:

"Calm down, Charlie, you have to stay calm, do you want Babe to see you like this when he will come back?"

"He won't come back! Tony got him!" Charlie shouted with the last ounce of energy he still had in his body. Jeff wasn't exactly surprised, but he turned to Pete for a confirm, and Pete nodded.

After they managed to take Charlie back to his room, Kim and Kenta arrived. Pete left Charlie with Jeff, who was always more familiar to him. Kenta asked Pete what was going on, while Kim waited behind him. After Pete explained everything and thanked Kenta for the offer to help them, Kenta turned back to Kim, who seemed much more worried than him.

"Poor Charlie, he fears that Babe may have the same fate as Way's, but he hasn't any power for now, so that shouldn't be the case" Kenta remarked.

"You're wrong..." Kim replied instinctively.

"What do you mean?" Kenta asked confused.

"Maybe Tony won't send anyone to do to Babe what they did to Way, but I can assure you that he surely won't mind if someone in his staff has.... fun... with Babe" Kim added and covered himself a little more with his jacket. That gesture was strange though, Kim spent the whole day complaining about the hot weather, and Kenta could swear that the temperature didn't decrease all of a sudden.