Chapter 25

Pete opened his arms and eventually Way crawled to him until Pete could hug him to comfort him. Way seemed to enjoy Pete's soft touch as he caressed his head. The owner of the house immediately glared at Babe and Charlie as Babe seemed to get more and more angry at his boyfriend for causing that problem. Seeing Pete glaring at them like that, they finally understood that it was better for them to leave the room and let Pete handle the situation on his own.

Charlie went downstairs and never dared to raise his eyes from the floor. He felt ashamed for the outcome of his stupid attempt to help Way and couldn't stand Babe glaring at him. Jeff saw him and walked to him, at first he didn't notice his brother's behavior because he just had fun with Alan and the rest of the team, something that happened quite rarely.

"Are they coming? The food is ready.. wait, did something happen?" Jeff asked with a worried tone and raised Charlie's chin to make him look at him directly. Charlie gulped before giving an answer, this hesitation was enough to make Babe intervene.

"He tried to convince Way to give him his powers. Not only it didn't work, but it also scared him a lot..." Babe said irritated.

"I'm sure he just wanted to help, there is no need to be so toxic about it. He put himself at risk to save your friend while you almost fucked up the whole mission with your reckless behavior. Don't try to deny it, Kenta told me everything" Jeff said as he stood in front of his brother.

"I did it only to help him! Maybe you wouldn't be so mad at me if you knew his true intentions from the beginning. But no... obviously... I'm the only traitor in this team no matter what I do to protect you!" Charlie yelled as his eyes couldn't hold back the tears anymore.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Babe asked. The room fell silent, nobody wanted that argument to get even worse, but at the same time they wanted to know what Charlie really meant by that.

"Way was working for Tony... for years... how do you think he managed to make his car business? Do you really think that if you want to start selling luxury cars you can start it out of nothing?" Charlie replied.

"That doesn't mean that he..."

"Yes, it means exactly that. Tony wanted him to convince you to have a child with him. He knew that Way loved you and he wanted to take advantage of it. They continued talking to each other until a few days before the accident on the bridge. But let me guess, he never told you, huh?" Charlie added.

"I don't... know what to say" Babe said as he felt betrayed by his best friend.

"I know that he changed... otherwise he wouldn't have jumped off that bridge... but I can't take it anymore. Whenever someone else makes a mistake in this team you immediately try to comfort them, while if I do something wrong you quickly blame me and make me feel like I'm nothing to you!"