Chapter 31

Right after breakfast was over, Way went to the garden of Pete's mansion. The fresh air that filled his lungs was making him feel better, not only physically but also mentally now that he was able to leave the four walls of his room. As he looked around though, he saw Babe sitting all by himself on a bench under a tree that shielded him from the hot sunlight. Way decided to approach him.

As soon as he noticed his best friend walking towards him, Babe stood up. He was so focused on his own problems right now, that he was ready to do whatever was necessary to stay alone. However, Babe stood up when Way was already too close, he felt a hand on his shoulder and sat back down.

"What's wrong, Babe?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you the same question?" Babe replied with another question. Soon all the care the others were giving to Way were becoming a burden. The more he talked to his friends, the more he felt like they could only look at him with pity in their eyes, and although at first it made him feel loved, now it only made him feel weak.

"I will move on... everyone does it, am I right? Now tell me what is bothering you. You know that I'm always more than willing to help you, best friend" Way responded with a fake smile, as even moving the muscles of his face in a certain way now felt unnatural.

"I can't believe it... you're ready to help me even after what happened to you, while Charlie seems always so... unable to face adversity. Maybe you were right when you said that he wasn't the right person for me... nobody is the right person for me..." Babe replied.

"Babe, I don't like Charlie and you know it very well, but we both have to admit that if it wasn't for him, I would still be in Tony's facility. Maybe you could show some... gratitude" Way responded. He couldn't believe that he was actually defending Charlie, the same guy he hated so much for stealing Babe from him, now seemed to deserve his pity.

"He tried to take your power, how can you justify him!?" Babe asked with a more annoyed tone.

"That's true, but... but... Babe, I've done things I'm not proud of just because I thought it was for the best. Nobody is perfect" Way couldn't know that Babe immediately interpreted as a confirmation of Charlie's words. What else could it be other than the confession of working for Tony, just like Charlie said the previous day? Babe was shocked, and with wide eyes he muttered:

"So... it is true..."

"What are you talking about?"

"When Charlie told me that you worked for Tony... that was the truth" Babe explained still in clear shock. Way gulped and stood up, he stepped back without moving his eyes away from his former best friend. He opened his mouth trying to say something but he already knew that his own behavior was already confirming Babe's accusations.

"Is it true, Way? I want to hear it from you..." Babe added.

"I... I just loved you so much... and you kept... taking me for granted and... and..."

"I want to know if you've ever tried to manipulate me... I want to know if you used your ability when you convinced me that Charlie wasn't the right choice" Babe asked as he got closer to Way.

"I just..."