Chapter 32

While the two were arguing, Charlie was in the kitchen with the large windows opened on the beautiful living room. Charlie was trying to get rid of the bad taste he had in his mouth after vomiting, so he was looking for some water and sugar. However, since he still had Babe's senses, he could easily overhear their conversation. He expected Babe to be still angry at him, but he was genuinely surprised to listen to Way as he was defending him.

"Oh, Pete, may I ask you keep the sugar?" Charlie asked as the owner of the house arrived, and so he lost some parts of the conversation. Pete kindly handed him a jar and Charlie took it, however, as he turned back to the garden, he found Way stepping back as Babe was yelling at him. Pete soon noticed that too and while Charlie was petrified, Pete quickly jumped into action and stepped between Babe and Way.

"That's enough, Babe!" Pete shouted as he managed to shield Way with his body. The more the argument continued, the guiltier Way felt. He knew that Babe deserved to know the truth about how he tried to manipulate their friendship, he was truly sorry for that and he was ready to do whatever was necessary to fix it, but at the same time he knew that Babe would have never even listened to him in the first place.

"Step aside, Pete, this is none of your business. I deserve to know what he has done to me for the past ten years!" Babe shouted as anger flooded his brain. Pete quickly grabbed Babe by the collar of his shirt and pushed him away, then he glared at him and with a tone that sounded more authoritarian that actually angry, he added:

"And this is my house, I won't let you treat any of my guests like that. I'm more than glad to help you, but if you're too stupid to accept it, then you're free to leave" at that point basically everyone in the house heard them and was looking at the scene.

Way started feeling more at ease whenever Pete was around him. He felt protected and... truly loved for once, although he didn't dare to admit that what Pete was feeling for him could be actual love and not some form of altruism.

Babe finally realized his mistake, he couldn't deny any longer that he was pouring his anger on his friends just because he felt useless after losing his powers. He looked away and even after Charlie, who finally managed to get himself together and rush to the scene, tried to hold him, Babe pushed him away and walked to the exit of the mansion.

"We can't let him go like that! If Tony..." Kenta said as he saw Babe leaving.

"I know... I know... I'll ask my assistant to put someone to guard him. I can't let him stay here any longer but I'm not that stupid to basically give him to Tony like that..." Pete said as he picked his phone out of his pocket.