Chapter 49

"You called... I suppose you told Dean that you will help him. If so, do you mind telling me how you're going to actually find Winner?" Kenta asked clearly annoyed, standing near the door of Pete's office. Pete put his tablet away and looked up at Tony's former bodyguard with a smirk. He pointed at the tray in a corner of the room as a signal to Kenta that he could enjoy a glass of liquor to make the situation a little less tense, however Kenta didn't seem in the mood for alcohol.

"Well, that's a good question, however you have to give me the answer" Pete responded.

"What?"

"You worked with him for so long that you must know every move he makes. You can surely tell me what happens to people who betray him and things like that. If we have a possibility to take Winner, we should catch it. One more day to expose Tony won't be a big deal. We've waited for a while after all. YOU waited too" Pete responded.

"What do you mean by that?" Kenta asked even more annoyed. Pete stood up, he walked closer to Kenta, eventually forcing him against the wall. If he wanted to proceed with his plan he couldn't be like Tony, he couldn't question his cooperators' loyalty, he had to make sure that Kenta was going to be completely honest about his intentions.

"You know what I mean. You've always been Tony's loyal man as long as it didn't involve you directly... you made me escape long ago... and now you helped your little Kim escape too. This time you had the good idea to bring evidence too, and I'm very thankful for that. I'm asking you to show a little empathy... you broke your own rules to help the people you love, you can't blame the others for doing the same thing" Pete explained.

Kenta knew he was right, the worst part of it was that he knew everything all along, and his silence alone was enough to accuse him and make him feel guilty, so guilty that whenever he looked at Kim, he felt partially at fault for what happened to him.

"If he's still in his facility... they probably took him to the basement. However... we should start by the worst possibility: that they killed him. If that's what happened, I know the few locations they would use to drop the corpse. It isn't something that happens so often so it is probable that they didn't change it, especially now that he doesn't have really trusted men in command..."

"Very good, go and check those places. If he isn't there, maybe we have a chance to rescue him" Pete replied, patting Kenta's shoulder.

"Thank you... thank you very much" Pete added before Kenta could leave. It was at that moment that Kenta realized how good he managed to move on from Pete. He didn't want his love, he was happy to see him with Way as much as he loved to be by Kim's side. What he really liked was the warmth of Pete's gratitude: for once in a long time, Kenta felt that someone actually appreciated his work, and so he realized why Pete's assistants were so willing to work for him.