Chapter 55

Way was looking from the window of Pete's office at the aftermath that was unfolding in the courtyard below. Policemen were writing reports, one of them, probably an higher rank officer, was talking to Pete to listen to his version of the events. Way wasn't worried about what could happen next, he knew that the facts were already enough to prove that they shot for legitimate defense, and since Pete's influence was growing thanks to Tony's scandal, it could only be easier to deal with it.

After the police left, everyone felt kind of uneasy. On one hand they didn't have to stay there anymore since Tony was dead, but on the other hand none of them felt safe enough to go back to their own life. To quickly solve that problem too, Alan called Sonic and North, who were the only two attempting to leave, to help him clean the mess in the house. Since the investigation was closed as fast as it started, there was no reason to keep everything exactly as it was, but Pete tried to convince Alan that they didn't have to help him clean, it was a futile attempt though.

Feeling useless, especially because he hesitated in front of danger, Winner started helping too. Dean came close to him and noticed that Winner was doing his best to look the other way. They had to solve it quickly.

"Why are you ignoring me?" Dean asked.

"You know why..." Winner responded and continued to clean. It didn't take long to Dean to understand what was going on, he sighed heavily and grabbed him by his shoulders, forcing him to look into his eyes. Winner was slightly surprised since Dean wasn't usually that resolute to him. He remained silent, waiting for Dean to tell him something.

"Instead of complaining about that, you should be happy. We're even now... you helped me once, I helped you once. At least we can start a more balanced relationship now, right?" Dean said with a slightly playful tone and kissed him on his cheek, making Winner feel shocked and then happy to have him by his side.

Babe on the other hand was completely useless to the rest of the team in terms of helping cleaning the house. He remained in Charlie's room the whole time, checking if he was alright, although he barely got into action during the fight, and hugged him whenever he felt the urge to do so, which was quite frequent.

"Babe, is there anything you want to tell me?" Charlie asked. Babe hesitated at first, but knowing that now the only threat to them was the lies in their relationship, he decided to tell him what Jeff told him. Babe felt and incredible sense of relief after he told him the truth, while Charlie caressed his cheek and smiled a little. He knew that he had to tell Babe something though...

"Babe... I have something to tell you too..." Charlie started, and Babe immediately got worried, considering Jeff's vision. "I really appreciate that you told me the whole truth, so I think you deserve to know it as well... I was about to jump in front of you when Tony aimed at you... I thought that I could protect you and give you your powers back at the same time..." Charlie continued.

"No... I'm so thankful it didn't happen... I would have cursed myself for eternity knowing that you died just to give those powers back to me... I don't want them if it means losing you" Babe replied and hugged him. Then a thought crossed his mind, if Charlie was so sure about doing that, then why was it Way to get there? The distance wasn't that different, and surely Charlie had better reflexes too.

"I stopped him" Way said as he interrupted the two lovebirds.

"What?" Babe asked confused.

"Yes, I grabbed his hand, it was quite fast, but it was enough to change his mind" Way responded.