Chapter 17

Still in the garage, Charlie pressed as hard as he could on Babe's forearm to stop him from expressing his idea, but to no avail. Babe stood up, catching the attention of Pete, who was talking with Alan at that moment. The CEO nodded, signaling that he was ready to hear Babe's opinion. He surely wasn't surprised to see Way's best friend participate actively to the plan to rescue him, although Babe demonstrated to be a little too impulsive during their previous interactions.

"I'll go to talk to Tony. If I pretend that I will go back to him, you will have enough time to infiltrate and rescue Way." Babe said resolutely.

"Nonsense. You're the last piece of his plan, if you get inside, there is no way Tony will let you leave, not now that he has Way" Kenta quickly intervened. Remembering Kenta's explanation on their way to the garage, Pete couldn't do much more than agree with him.

"I don't care, I must do it! Way has always been by my side, why shouldn't I go there and help him?" Babe replied.

"Because that would mean that you would get in danger and make an already terrible situation even worse. That's why" Pete added.

"I could go, though..." Charlie whispered.

"What?" Pete asked confused.

"I said that I could go. I know Tony and he trusts me. I could easily get into the facility, find Way and then help you to get to him" Charlie repeated.

Pete didn't respond. No matter how much he respected Alan, he ignored him for the time being and turned to Kenta for a final judgment. Kenta sighed and leant closer to Pete, then he whispered in his ear:

"That could be the only way... we may have other solutions, but they would take too much time and we don't want Way to spend too much time there if we want to spare him some traumas"

Pete closed his eyes for a moment at the thought of all the things Way could have to endure for every minute of their hesitation. He took a deep breath and turned to the rest of the team.

"Fine, apparently we don't have much choice. Charlie, you will enter the building, Kenta will explain to you where it will be more likely to find Way. Once you find him, send a message with as much details as you can: location, number of guards..."

"Very good" Charlie replied.

"I'll wait in a car with Kenta and Alan outside the facility, we will intervene after you send all the information" Pete finished.

"What about me? I can't even stay in the car with you?" Babe asked.

"Babe, we cannot risk..." Kenta started, but Pete stopped him and added:

"Fine, you can stay in the car, but you have to follow our plan."

A few minutes later, Kenta approached Pete in an empty area.

"Why did you agree this time? It will be too dangerous..."

"Don't you see how he behaves? Trust me, refusing completely would have meant that he would have tried to get into the facility on his own. At least this way we can keep an eye on him and he will feel useful"