Chapter 33

Pete quickly went to his room and started calling some of his assistants. Despite being angry at Babe for treating his beloved Way like that, he still put a lot of efforts into organizing Babe's protection, even if that meant he had to do it from a certain distance. After a while, Way went to Pete's room, he knocked on the door and waited for Pete to reply.

"Enter..." Pete responded with a slightly frustrated tone. He couldn't know that it was Way behind that door and so, as soon as he entered the small office, Pete immediately regretted replying like that. Way entered slowly, his eyes looking at the wooden floor, almost as if he didn't even want to be seen. Then Pete came closer to him and so Way finally raised his eyes.

"Is there anything I may do for you, Way?" Pete asked as softly as he could, with a smile that would have made everyone's heart melt instantly. Way shook his head and he felt his cheeks get warmer, it surely felt good to see Pete smiling like that. Then the young racer finally managed to address the topic that pushed him to see Pete.

"Well, Kenta told me about your efforts to protect Babe despite his... aggressive behavior. I just wanted to thank you, nobody forced you to do that after all..." Way said with a voice that was just a little more than a whisper.

"I know that Tony wouldn't surrender that easily, so I'm glad to help as many people I can" Pete replied, but he quickly understood, judging Way's expression, that Way would have preferred a different answer. The more Pete talked in every occasion, the more Way felt like Pete was just being very altruistic instead of simply in love with him.

As soon as Way heard those words, he turned away and looked at the books on the bookshelf, trying to avoid Pete's eyes. How much he would have loved to hear Pete say: "I'm doing my best to protect Babe just because I know that he's very dear to you, and my only goal is to make you happy because I love you..." but it looked like Pete wasn't experiencing those feelings.

"Way, may I ask you a question? I know it could be a little too personal so you don't really have to answer, if you don't want to" Pete suddenly added.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Do you still have feelings for... Babe? You called his name so many times when you were in need, and I can see the way you look at him... oh, sorry, nevermind, I should have never asked you something like that. Let's pretend this conversation never happened" Pete asked, then as he felt a rush of embarrassment he quickly looked away and tried to leave the room. He opened the door and he was already in the corridor, while Way was still by the bookshelf.

"Not anymore..." Way finally responded and Pete stopped walking away. The CEO turned back and walked to Way, who continued:

"You're right, I had feelings for him... but I feel like they're fading right now... it is a good thing, right? Maybe I'm... moving on"

"Yes, I'm... I'm happy that you're so open about it" Pete said with a smile, knowing that maybe he could have a chance. Then the moment, or better the question he feared the most finally arrived, as Way asked:

"Why did you pose that question though?"