The Lost Light

Hello, everyone! Nakasone Kyo here. Today, I find myself standing in front of Maruyama Aya's house, ready to visit a sick friend. The atmosphere is a mix of curiosity and suspicion, as passersby exchange glances and mutter comments:

"Hey, who is he?"
"He's weird."
"Someone call the cops... He might be a stalker!"

I roll my eyes internally.

I'm no stalker, just a concerned friend making a friendly visit. Besides, isn't this the kind of scene you'd find in a romance-comedy novel, manga, or anime? A classic, cliché moment.

Dismissing the unfounded assumptions. It's my first time visiting the center idol of Pastel*Palettes, and well, Hikawa Hina counts too.

This feels like the classic scenario where the main character pays a visit to a sick heroine—a cliche event, indeed.

I take a deep breath and mutter, "Oh well, let's do this." With a determined stride, I enter the gates, fully aware of the stares following me. I rang the doorbell.

The anticipation of what awaited me on the other side grew with each passing second.

A soft "Kyo-kun?" greeted me as Aya opened the door, looking visibly weaker than usual.

"Good afternoon," I greeted, trying to maintain a comforting tone.

"W-welcome... please come in," she stuttered, inviting me inside.

She appeared quite frail. "Sorry to intrude," I said as I stepped in, noting her condition. "Are you alone?"

"Y-Yeah..."

"Well, then. Why don't you take some rest while I cook you some porridge?"

"Eh? You can cook?"

"Absolutely! Leave it to me!"

Her faint smile lightened the atmosphere. She led me to the kitchen and returned to the living room, sinking into the sofa while watching TV.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to be resting in bed?"

"I-I'm fine. I just checked my temperature and I'm almost good," she tried to reassure me but of course that doesn't change the fact that a sick person should be taking everything lightly... or I'm just taking it too much.

"But still."

"D-Don't worry about me," she insisted back, a slight quiver in her voice.

With a nod, I busied myself in the kitchen, preparing a warm meal for her to ease her discomfort and help her recover faster.

I carefully carried the rice porridge to the living room and set it on the table. "Here you go."

"Mmm... Thank you, Kyo-kun..." Aya's voice sounded a little softer than usual, which strangely made my heart skip a beat.

Wait, don't get distracted!

I inquired, "May I ask what time you took your temperature?"

"Um, around 8 PM."

"Hmm, let's take another temperature reading, just to be sure."

"Um, I'm okay though..."

"Nope, let me help." I swiftly grabbed the spoon before she could, trying to be insistent.

"E-Eh? I'm fine though?"

"I just realized it might be hot. Let me help you with that," I insisted, ignoring her resistance.

Aya looked at me with a mix of amusement and slight exasperation, "Fine..."

I picked up the thermometer and helped her with the porridge, trying to ease her discomfort as much as possible.

I noticed Aya's voice becoming softer, indicating she might be feeling more tired. "Where's the cold medicine?" I asked.

"Top of the fridge, there's a cabinet for medicine," she replied in a slightly subdued tone.

"Alright, I'll be back with a glass of water and the cold medicine," I said, trying to alleviate any discomfort she might be feeling.

I hurried to the kitchen to retrieve the medication, quickly locating the cold medicine in the cabinet. Then, I filled a glass with water and returned to the living room.

"Here's the medicine and water," I said, handing them to Aya. "You should take this and get some rest. I'll tidy up the kitchen, so don't worry about that."

She took the medicine and nodded gratefully, her eyelids drooping with fatigue. I quietly cleaned up the kitchen, making sure everything was in order before joining Aya in the living room.

I wandered around the living room, glancing back at Aya, who appeared to be sleeping peacefully. As I turned to leave, I caught a whisper from her direction. "I'm sorry."

Curiosity piqued, I moved closer to her, checking her temperature by placing my hand on her forehead. Tears streamed down her face.

"Aya, become the light that will shine throughout the stage. I believe in you," I whispered softly, hoping my words would reach her even in her sleep.

Gradually, her tears subsided, and she drifted into a deeper slumber. But her vulnerability didn't escape my notice.

After all... Aya carried a desire to be noticed, a complex that stemmed from her earnest wish to stand out. She didn't hide her true self outside, hoping for acknowledgment, even checking online for public opinions. Her sentimental nature and idealistic outlook often led her to tears. She struggled with improvisation, flustering easily during her duties.

Yet, despite these challenges, she was a hardworking idol. And as her producer, I was determined to support her through it all.

I made up my mind.

I rose and reached for my phone, dialing the manager's number. "Hello, Manager. I need to ask you something... It's a favor if you don't mind..."

And then... the next day Aya came back to the agency.

"Oh, you're here?"

"Kyo-kun? What's going on? I came here to apologize to the manager."

I chuckled lightly. "Apologize? You haven't done anything wrong. Besides, shouldn't you be at practice right now? Head over to CirCLE."

"Wait, but everyone..."

"Don't worry about everyone. They're already waiting for you there."

"Eh? Waiting for me?" Aya's confusion was evident.

"Just hurry! They'll be thrilled to see you."

As Aya hurriedly made her way to CirCLE, I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. It was time for her to realize her worth and shine on the stage.

Though it's not done yet, there should be one more thing.