It's not the end yet

I yawned as another day in the cottage with Hello Happy World began. Only two days left until the new year, and yet, I found myself caught in the midst of the band's energetic antics.

As I opened the door to the hallway, I was greeted by the sight of Kokoro running with Misaki hot on her heels.

"Hey! Come back here! Give me that!"

"Hahaha~ Catch me if you can, Misaki!~"

It was still early in the morning, and the two were already engaged in a lively game of tag.

Sighing, I closed the door, intending to retreat back to my room for some peace. However, the inviting aroma of croquettes lured me toward the kitchen. There, I found Hagumi cooking and couldn't resist approaching her.

"Good morning!" I greeted.

"Oh! Good morning! Did the smell of my croquettes give you a bit of energy?"

"How'd you know that?!"

Not gonna lie... it smelled really good.

Hagumi widened her eyes and chuckled, "Kyo-kun, you still have bed head, you know? Also... you're drooling."

"Hey, don't blame me. I want to eat already!"

"Really? That's great!"

We exchanged smiles, but our moment was interrupted by Misaki, who gave us a blank stare.

"Why are you two acting like newlyweds?"

Silence ensued until I jokingly dropkicked Misaki in the head – metaphorically, of course. Hagumi and I immediately looked away, and I cleared my throat.

Hagumi and I immediately looked away, clearing our throats. "How about we eat now? I'm seriously hungry."

I stole a glance at Hagumi, and she, too, seemed a bit flustered, her attention fixed on the croquettes.

"Uhm... Kitazawa-san? Is it just me, or are your croquettes turning black?"

Hagumi noticed it and was immediately startled.

Hagumi's eyes widened as she turned her attention to the croquettes sizzling in the pan. A tinge of panic crossed her face.

"Uhm... Kitazawa-san? Is it just me, or are your croquettes turning black?" I pointed out.

Hagumi gasped and hurriedly flipped the croquettes, revealing their slightly burnt undersides. She let out a nervous laugh, trying to play it off.

"A-Ah, well, a little crispy is good, right? Adds a unique flavor!"

I chuckled, "Yeah, a bit of crunch never hurt anyone."

Misaki, who had now joined us, raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure about that?"

Ignoring her comment, I grabbed a plate and loaded it with the croquettes. The slightly charred aroma mixed with the enticing scent of the filling. As I took a bite, I couldn't help but appreciate the unexpected twist in flavor.

As expected... Nothing beats Hagumi's croquettes.

Hagumi grinned, clearly relieved. "Phew! I'm glad you like them, Kyo-kun!"

Misaki, still skeptical, cautiously picked up a croquette. After a moment's hesitation, she took a bite and her expression softened.

"Hmm, not bad, but doesn't it taste the same always?" Misaki remarked.

"What the hell are you talking about?! It's CHEESE! MY FAVORITE!" I defended, a bit too passionately.

"O-okay..." She sighed, "You don't have to shout." She continued munching on the croquettes until the other three joined.