TWENTY-SEVEN

TWENTY-SEVEN
🍯Honey🍯

We've been sitting in the car in silence for about twenty minutes. I questioned Xavier if it was wise to just sit here after what happened, but I think he's in shock as he stares ahead sitting in the driver's seat. I even offered to drive us home, but he refused.

My eyes keep looking at the burning vehicle behind us and I wince, feeling a pinch in my chest at the thought of poor Rocky. My heart breaks even more at the thought of how his wife and daughter will react when we break the news to them. It will break them. His daughter is only young, and he had been with his wife since he was eighteen. 

"Xavier," I whisper his name reaching out for his hand, thankful when he grabs a hold of it tightly, and laces our fingers together. "We need to go."

"He was my best friend, Honey. I grew up with him and he's just gone, like that." These are the first words he's spoken since it happened not long ago. "He didn't fucking deserve that!" His eyes water and so do mine at the sight of him distressed.

"I'm sorry." It's all I can think of saying because no matter what I say, it doesn't defeat the fact that Rocky is dead. Bile rises in my throat, and I try my hardest to swallow it back down. "We—"

I'm cut off by the back door being aggressively pulled open, and my eyes widen when a battered Rocky climbs into the back, clutching his arm with a pained expression. Xavier's jaw drops.

"You motherfucker!" He exclaims. "We thought you were fucking dead!"

"Just fucking drive!" Rocky exclaims, and Xavier doesn't hesitate to speed out of the car park and back home.

I turn my body to face Rocky, continuing to stare at him like a fish out of water. "You can't have been in that car."

"Honey, fucking hell please, of course, I wasn't in the fucking car, I was walking up behind it. I had to take a piss, and I told one of the other guards to watch the car." I let out a relieved sigh, but then suddenly feel guilty because someone still died tonight. The guard that took Rocky's place. "All I'm gonna say is it won't be long until one of us is dead for real. Whether this was Luella's or Xander's doing, both of them need a bullet in the head." Rocky grits, wincing in pain.

"Thank God, you're still alive." Xavier breathes out. "Can you not do that shit again?" He briefly glances at Rocky in the rearview mirror.

"Oh yeah sorry, I'll make sure to get my ass away from any explosive devices that I can't fucking see. Don't you worry your pretty little ass, X." Rocky retorts, closing his eyes and leaning his head back against the headrest. "Fucking idiot."

I purse my lips to stop myself from laughing.

"Motherfucker!" Xavier exclaims, hitting the steering wheel. I think he's still in shock.

The moment we get home, Rocky is sent to the doctor, and Ayla is awake at the top of the stairs watching the commotion with wide, worried eyes.

"What are you doing up, baby?" I question her, meeting her halfway up the stairs.

"I couldn't sleep." She whispers, glancing at Rocky's retreating form. "Is Rock Rock okay?" I give her a reassuring smile and nod my head.

"Yes, sweetheart. He was just in a little car accident, he'll be okay." Relief floods her face, and her body relaxes. "Let's get you back to bed."

I put Ayla back to bed, reading her story before quietly retreating out of her room and going on the hunt for Xavier who I find in his office, dress shirt removed, revealing his tattooed torso, and a glass of whisky in his hand.