CHAPTER 4 -Kame Island-

Gon POV

'The same scent... face... strength... Even the same name.' A myriad of questions swirled through my mind like leaves caught in a gentle breeze.

Anyone can tell they're the same person. But the only thing that was amiss was that she couldn't remember us... It's like the two years we spent together vanished from her memories. But how?

My gaze was fixed, my eyes focused on an invisible horizon as if searching for answers beyond the physical realm.

'How can she be alive in the first place?'

As I stood there, lost in the labyrinth of my contemplations, a sudden surge of clarity coursed through me like a bolt of lightning. It was as if a forgotten door had swung open in the recesses of my mind, revealing a memory I had long overlooked.

.

"Gon, my granddaughter is not dead."

.

"...!" My eyes widened as the realization hit me, connecting the dots between his words and the puzzle I had been grappling with.

Without a second thought, I rummaged through my backpack, and there it was— crystalline orange balls nestled among my mundane belongings.

'It can't be... is it the Dragon Ball?' My eyes widened as I clutched the Four-Star Dragon Ball.

The six balls we gathered went missing after Rin was left at NGL. Grandpa Gozen said they could only find one ball at the time; the Four-Star Dragon Ball. But, if I recall, Rin did say something that after a wish was granted, the Dragon Ball would scatter all across the globe. That was the reason I was here in the first place.

Deep in thought, my brow furrowed with the weight of the speculations echoing within my mind.

'Did Grandpa Gozen revive her using the Dragon Ball?'

If so, why didn't he say anything? How come she can't remember any of us? Are her memories altered? Is it the same as how she can't remember Chrollo?

'Is Grandpa Gozen responsible for that too?'

Each question led to another, a cascade of inquiries that seemed to have no end. It was as if I had opened a door to a room filled with riddles, and now I couldn't escape the relentless puzzle of my own making.

'What is his motive? Why did he give me the Dragon Ball? Did he know I'd reach this island and meet Rin at one point?'

Just as the threads of my thoughts were weaving into a coherent understanding, a familiar voice pierced through the veil of introspection.

"Gon."

The call snapped me back to the present. Killua had entered the room, breaking the solitude with his unwavering presence.

Startled, I looked up, eyes widening as I shifted my focus from the crystalline ball to Killua. "Killua..."

Killua's eyes locked onto mine with a penetrating intensity. The unspoken understanding between us crackled in the air, and he voiced the suspicion that had lingered in his mind.

"What's the real reason we're here, Gon?" he inquired. "Don't expect me to believe you just randomly choose this island because of its rich culture or whatever bullshit that comes along with it."

"Gon, I know there's something you're not telling me."

Killua knew me well, perhaps too well, and he sensed that I was hiding something.