Chapter 30 ~ Compromise

Wow... Chapter 30... ^_^

Chapter 30 ~ Compromise

*~* Amelia's POV *~*

I groggily opened my heavy eyelids but quickly closed them when the bright light from the bedroom window nearly blinded me, making me wonder. One: how long have I been sleeping for? Two: when did I get to the bedroom? I remember nodding off on the couch...

The confused thoughts circled my mind, making me groan inwardly, the beauty of graceful slumber slowly leaving me. I lay on my back, underneath the thin duvet I lay my palms on my stomach noticing a little bump. My lips curved into a small smile. I then frowned slightly, remembering exactly how earlier today or yesterday even, was. What ifs once again polluted my mind; it caused a faint throb in my skull.

Suddenly my stomach growled, causing me to jump slightly at the abrupt noise. My stomach in urgent need of food or maybe it was just the baby. It then clicked it my slow mind that, now I would have to feed myself for the baby's sake. My eyes flickered open and I inhaled. I furrowed my eyebrows at the unexpected smell and in my peripheral vision I could see Max, crossed legged with a tray of food.

I got up and leaned against the head board and just stared at Max, my heart going on hyper drive, not with the usual anticipation I was accustomed to.

My stomach growled again.

"Err, I bought you some food, I know you don't like eating but I just read that the baby would need food and fluid," Max mumbled sheepishly. I looked into Max's eyes cautiously, they held self confliction, anger, pain... but regret was domineering over them. Making my heart melt in my chest.

"Um okay, thanks," I managed to voice awkwardly. Max passed me the tray of food. I looked down at it, hating the area of awkwardness around us, it was suffocating. I picked up a piece of toast from which seemed a perfect piece of china and slowly brought it to my lips when Max spoke.

"Amelia, I'm sorry. I really am; I don't mean anything I said to you. I just wish we were safe for you know... but that's not the point now. I know what I said was unforgivable, I probably am a complete monster for acting like that and you probably don't want anything to do with me anymore. But I've come to terms that you're carrying our child and coming to think of it, I quite like the idea of a mixture of us joining the world."

I looked at Max from underneath my lashes, speechless for a completely different reason than usual. So I just stared. What could I say?

I took a bite of the piece of toast, noting that now food didn't taste that bad, it seemed more bearable to consume.

"It's okay Max," I replied, weakly. Reaching for the glass as I put the piece of toast down, soon savouring the taste of fresh orange juice.

"How is it okay? What I did was horrible I'm surprised you can even look at me right now -"

"You are such a drama queen, you know that?" I interjected, feeling at ease with myself.

I examined Max, noticing that he looked tired. Not tired with life, just tired as if get wanted to sleep for a week. Had he been awake for all that time? "You look exhausted."

"This isn't about me," Max argued. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, Max I forgive you. You might think that what you said was unforgivable but you were pissed beyond reason. We both knew that," I informed him.

He scrunched his lips adorably. "You expected that reaction?"

"Nope, well I expected you to freak out but not completely lash out. By the way, I don't know what you're going to say about the wall. For that, you are on your own," I said, teasing at the end light-heartedly.