Chapter 17 ~ Trueness

*~* Amelia's POV *~*

We arrived home shortly, there was little talk on the way back but that was because we were off in our own worlds. I gripped Max's hand firmly in mine as we were about to enter the house, taking deep breaths in the process.

Maybe I'm overreacting, what's the worst she could do anyway? I'm standing by Max, I done my part and fulfilled my promise. So maybe she just wants to see me.

We entered the house which seemed to have the same stiff atmosphere as before and walked towards the family room. Internally I hoped that she wouldn't be here and that I was dreaming but another part of me was dying with curiosity.

What exactly did she want? What was her hidden motive?

She was there looking at same - well, almost the same. She looked almost... tired.

"Amelia, you're here. Max too," she greeted a smile, I returned an uneasy expression. How was I supposed to react anyway?

"Um... hi," I returned, sitting myself beside Max on the loveseat. I was internally twiddling my thumbs hoping for the awkwardness to die away. The thought alone seemed to make it worse: what was my problem?

"So... Dad how's everybody?" I asked, shattering the silence. I looked over to Huilen who's presence I had just registered. She smiled assuringly, making my heart ache slightly in reminisce. To be honest I quite missed her though, she was always there. I returned a weak turn up of the lips in return before fixating my gaze on my Father.

"They miss you, especially Aubrey constantly complaining about the lack of shopping partner but they are happy that you are happy," he answered. I gave a brief nod and clutched Max tighter as I dared my eyes to train on the woman beside him.

"You wanted to talk?" I spoke addressing the matter myself for the first time.

"Privately would be best," she replied her eyes shifting to Max causing an automatic reaction of my hand to tighten his again.

"No, Max stays," I stated firmly. To prove the point Max let go of my hand and wrapped his arm securely around my waist. The look that flashed across my mother's face wasn't something I could decipher, it seemed like a mixture of jealousy, happiness and curiosity all morphed into one.

"Okay," she accepted catching me by surprise. "The reason I didn't show up earlier was because I wasn't physically able to. Even though I didn't die, it did weaken me in some way. I felt physically able only about a year ago. And all I did was observed. I saw the way you were with your friends, family and sometimes alone. I would've said something but I was afraid. I wasn't sure to how you would react and I knew if I unveiled myself in England your reaction would be worse. So when I found out that you were coming on holiday here, I showed myself to your Father. We talked everything over."

I took everything she had said in, I knew that I would react worse if she had shown me herself in England. But the fresh information sunk in fast. New questions formed in my mind urging for some release. Enough that I felt the beginning of a headache. I pressed my head to Max's shoulder ignoring the eyes and concentrated on his heart beat as his hand rubbed circles on me assuringly. Goose bumps rose following by my body starting in arch into his slightly making me want to do things not appropriate for the current situation.

"Why weren't you here before?" I asked her, my voice muffled because my mouth was at Max's neck.

I felt Max's motives, it made me smile that I wasn't the only one having to control themselves.

"I was looking for your father," she started. Gee I already know that. I looked up at her, arching my eyebrow hoping that she could understand my silent question.