Chapter 16 - Apprehension

*~* Amelia's POV *~*

Nothing seemed logical at the moment. She was here. Or am I still dreaming? As soon as I questioned her presence the room's tension multiplied by ten making me feel like I was choking on oxygen alone.

"Amelia..." my mother's soprano voice spoke sounding nearly hurt. She, my mother being here was like being slapped hard in the face. I gripped Max's hand tight in mine, aware of my strength and completely succumbed into his warmth by closing my eyes and feeling the circles he rubbed on my hand.

"What's going on?" I asked almost inaudibly. Not seeing the woman was helping me cope, and my quiet voice was heard by the vampires.

"Amelia, open your eyes," My mother spoke, authority ringing in her voice almost as if she owned me. Despite what she said, and possibly what she thought I kept them closed. My tracker instinct was pulling me towards Max so I could grab him and make a run for it.

"Amelia."

This time, it was was my father Nahuel who spoke causing my eyes to instantly flicker open. I ignored my mother's presence and looked directly at my father who was sitting directly to the left of her. He looked the same yet somehow different - happier you could say.

"Yes?" I replied, not really sure I wanted to hear what he wanted to say either.

"How are you?" He asked, utterly oblivious to my current state. Or maybe I'm imaging her?

"Why is my Mother here?" I questioned, not caring if I sounded rude.

"I didn't die Amelia," My Mother interjected, before pursing her lips so she could continue, "Before I could die, I turned invisible. I took off my cloak so that turned into dust instead of me." My eyes flashed dangerously to hers. She wasn't dead?

The thought alone made me question everything I had done in the 3 and a half years. Soon making me question everything I had ever done.

"Amelia, we know that this is - "

"We?" I echoed interrupting my Mother. My Father knew she was alive all along?

"I wanted to see you grow up Amelia," My Mother said, sounding awfully pathetic. I started to get angry, I didn't like lies. I never liked been lied to because that seemed to be the only thing that my Mother seemed to do. Was anything real that came out of her mouth?

"You lied to me?" I asked, my question sounding very well like a statement.

"I didn't lie to you - "

"If you wanted to see me grow up you could've just said so..." I said calmly, despite my growing hostility. "I would actually would've been nice to have a Mother around - not that Bella didn't fill in the role already."

I wasn't sure if I should've put that last statement in. I didn't want Bella to be brought into this. It only concerned my parents and I. Not even Max. Who now was just silent, the only sound was the steady beat of his heart and shallow breaths. Making me wonder what he thought of the current situation.

"I did everything for your own good Amelia," My Mother spoke, starting to sound a little annoyed.

"Oh so living on my own for three years was really beneficial for me. Thank you so much," I sardonically retorted and raised an eyebrow challenging.

"Don't talk like that to me," she warned, the room suddenly feeling more tense.

"Well I'm sorry, but after everythjng I've been through, you expect me to listen to everything you want to say and let it be? I don't think so. I'm sorry."