A Destined Relationship

“Ready?” Joel asked, looking into the brown and red eyes of Etho.

God, he's so beautiful. Joel thought before he could stop himself. Stop. He scolded his thoughts. He doesn't love you back, so there's no point.

“Ready.” Etho whispered.

Etho hit himself lightly in the shoulder, and Joel winced as a phantom pain tinged up his arm. Well, that was that then. They were soulmates.

“What now?” Etho asked, taking a hesitant step forward.

“I have no idea.” Joel breathed, a slight blush creeping up his cheeks. “I guess we should build a base?”

“Yeah. . .” Etho whispered, his eyes dropping to the floor.

Etho stood there for a moment, the sun shining through his hair, making him look kind of magical. Joel took an unconscious step closer, knowing there was something he wanted to do, but he didn't know how to ask. Etho reached his hand up to his face, and he slowly pulled his mask off, holding it in his hand. Joel gasped as he took in the full beauty of Etho's face.

The scar that ran over his red eye continued further down, stopping a few centimeters away from his mouth, drawing the eye to his smile. And God his smile. Joel had never wished to see it before, but now he never wanted to live without it. It shyly curved upwards, and suddenly Joel's hand was moving without his permission, reaching up to cup the right side of Etho's face. Joel ran his thumb over the part of the scar normally covered by his mask, and Etho shivered, leaning into the touch. Etho's eyes slipped shut, and his smile grew, if possible, even wider, taking up even more space in Joel's heart.

“You’re so beautiful. . .” Joel whispered as Etho opened his eyes. Joel dropped his hand, unsure if he was pushing a boundary.

Etho blinked and looked a little surprised before he spoke, his voice low and soft.

“You know, you're beautiful too.”

“Thanks I know.” Joel joked, causing Etho to laugh, and the noise was like a melody in Joel's heart.

Etho reached his hand over to Joel, and he hesitantly took his hand. Joel's heart went into overdrive as Etho looked down at him, and his eyes flicked to his lips.

“May I?” Etho whispered, and Joel nodded, barely daring to breathe.

Etho leaned closer, and his hand came up to rest on Joel's cheek. Joel and Etho just stood there for a moment, each trying to memorise the other’s face. Etho was the one to make the first move, leaning impossibly closer and pressing his lips to Joel's. Joel melted into the touch, standing on his tippy toes to wrap his arms around Etho's neck. Etho dropped his mask to the ground, hiding his face, a long forgotten habit. After a few seconds, they pulled away gasping for breath, and Joel buried his face into Etho's neck.

“I love you.” Joel whispered, knowing it was true.

Ever since the start of Third Life, there had been a little voice in the back of his head that had loved Etho. From the very start, all the way to now when the voice was finally getting its way.

“I love you too, Joel.” Etho sighed back. “I love you too.”

Hey! I feel like it's been weeks since I've last posted! It hasn't really been that long, but still! I've missed writing. I was just dealing with a bit of writers block, and now I got this short story for yall. Thanks for reading,

Star