This Feeling

Third Life

Joel x Etho

Etho sighed gently as he moved the oars through the water, pulling his boat forward. He looked around at the swamp and wondered how far it went and if there was any dark oak near it. He patrolled through the water, keeping his eyes peeled for anything interesting when suddenly his left oar snagged on yet another lily pad, halting his progress.

Etho reached over and pulled the roots off of his paddle and discarded the plant into the murky water. Etho lifted his oar back up into the air and continued to row his way through the swamp.

All of a sudden, Etho heard the splash of another boat behind him. His instincts reacted faster than his brain did, and he whipped around with his hand on his sword hilt, ready to strike. But instead of an enemy or even a mob, Etho found himself staring into the light brown eyes of Joel.

“Oh, hello Joel.” Etho said, as a subconscious smile formed under his mask.

“Hey Etho.” Joel said, his accent warping the way he said Etho’s name. Etho found that he actually enjoyed the way Joel said it, despite the fact that he was saying it wrong.

“What are you doing all the way out here?” Etho asked, and Joel smiled stupidly.

“I’m trying to get a monopoly like those two fools.” Joel said, gesturing to a clear-cut area behind him.

“Oh was that dark oak?” Etho asked with a shake of his head.

“Yeah, was as in past tense.” Joel sighed, his smile turning Etho’s stomach.

“What are you trying to get a monopoly on?” Etho asked in curiosity.

Joel laughed softly, and the sound did funny things to Etho’s face. He felt it heat up, and a small smile started to form. Etho was silently glad he was wearing his mask. That way, Joel couldn’t see what was going on.

Joel swung a bag off of his shoulder and opened it up for Etho to see. It was full of lily pads and lily pad flowers.

“I’m trying to get a monopoly on lily pads, but I’ve got a million, and there's still so many left.” Joel sighed and closed up his bag again. “Well I'd best be going then.”

Etho felt himself shrink in disappointment when Joel said he was leaving, and he quickly shook off the feeling.

“Here.” Joel suddenly said, holding up a lily pad flower. “These’ll be a hot commodity soon.”

Etho cupped his hands and carefully held them out to Joel. Joel dropped the flower gentilly into Etho’s hands and backed up, with a sheepish smile on his face.

“Bye Etho.” Joel said quietly before picking up his oars and paddling away.

Etho sat there in his boat for a while. He just stroked the petals of the flower as he desperately tried to calm down his racing heart and thoughts.

He picked up his oars and rowed away with his face burning with no clue as to why.

*****

“Impulse! Impulse! Impulse!” Etho raced into the village and was greeted with Impulse’s worried face.

“Etho?” Impulse grabbed onto Etho’s shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. “Are you okay- Why do you have a lily?”

“Joel gave it to me, and I think I’m allergic.” Etho sighed.

“Then why do you still have it?” Impulse asked, confused. “Wait Joel gave it to you?”