The Begining Of Spring

Martyn x Ren

Third Life

I don't normally have to do this, so here I go. WARNING! Graphic description of someone's head getting cut off in this oneshot. Um, if you don't like, then skip. I don't normally do sad stuff, or gory stuff, so you can read most of my stuff if you're sensitive to this! Anyway, DOGWARTS!

Martyn stood at the sacrificial circle staring down at his lover, not believing what he was saying. Ren held out the axe to him, a strange light glowing in his eyes. Martyn shivered, reaching down to caress Ren's cheek. Ren grabbed Martyn's hand and thrust the axe into his arms. Martyn shook his head and dropped the axe to the ground.

"No." Martyn whispered, a tear falling down his cheek. "I can't. Ren, come back to me please."

Martyn pulled Ren to his feet and grabbed at his love's hands holding them close to his heart. Ren still wouldn't look Martyn in the eyes, but when he did, Martyn wished he hadn't. Ren's eyes were unlike the kind, confident, loving ones that he had alway had when he looked at Martyn.

Ren's expression was cold, and his eyes were dark and absent of any feeling. Martyn cupped Ren's cheek again trying to force some emotion, any emotion into his eyes. Ren just kneeled down on the ground and picked up the axe again. Ren grasped Martyn's hand in his own and brought it down to his lips, laying a soft kiss on the back of his hand. In reaction Martyn grabbed Ren's face with both his hands and laid a kiss on his lips.

"I must have my revenge." Ren whispered, "You are the hand of the king are you not?"

"Yes." Martyn said softly rubbing circles on Ren's cheek with his thumb. "But I'm not just your hand, I love you."

"Then you know what needs to be done." Ren lifted his head and passed Martyn the axe.

"I will never forgive myself." Martyn whispered, stepping away from Ren and lifting the axe into the air.

"But I will forgive you." Ren sighed, bowing his head once more.

Martyn swung the axe and as he heard the sickening sound of cutting flesh and the thunk of the axe all he could think was;

I'm so sorry.

*****

I've created a monster. Martyn thought as Ren rampaged around the forest, seeking out revenge and enemies. I wish I'd never listened to him.

One night, Martyn couldn't sleep so he went out into the courtyard to think. He sat down on the pedestal where this had all started. Where the red king had risen. Martyn stared at the blood stain and sighed leaning his head back to look at the stars.

Suddenly Martyn had an idea. This was his king, Ren was his king, but Ren was also his biggest mistake. There was only one way to fix a mistake this big. He would have to kill Ren. He was too dangerous, he was running around the wood creating chaos and destruction and there was only one way to stop him. But would Martyn have the strength to do it?

As Martyn contemplated his options, he scratched a name onto the wooden handle of his sword. 'Spring', he called it.

This is quite fitting. Martyn decided, I started the winter, it's only fair that I should be the one to bring the spring.

After a while, Martyn heard footsteps coming up from behind him. He turned around from where he sat, and what he saw shocked him.

It was Ren. The king stood (looking quite small) without his cape and crown, looking just like Ren again. And Martyn wanted to cry.

"Hey Martyn." Ren greeted, walking over and sitting beside him.

"H-hello." Martyn stuttered, pulling his knees to his chest.

Ren didn't respond, he just wrapped one of his arms around Martyn's shoulders pulling him close against his side. Martyn melted against Ren and the king gently kissed the top of Martyn's head. He blushed and snuggled closer to his love with a sigh of relief. Maybe he wouldn't have to kill Ren after all. But as he stared at the bloody mark on the ground, he was reminded of the thing he had done, and what he had to do.

"I'm sorry." Ren whispered after a while. "I really am. I didn't want it to be you."

"What?" Martyn gasped looking over at his king.

"I just was so full of hate, I wanted revenge and-" Ren sighed, "I didn't think about who I was hurting in my journey to get my vengeance."

"It's okay milord." Martyn assured, even though he completely disagreed with his words.

A few more minutes passed, and then Ren broke the silence by standing up and helping Martyn to his feet.

"We should head inside." Ren said, threading his fingers through Martyn's.

"Ren." Martyn whispered, knowing what he had to do.

"Yes?" Ren turned around to look at Martyn with a look of confusion on his face.

Martyn didn't say anything; he just pulled Ren into a kiss. It was passionate and pure, and Ren sighed tugging Martyn closer to him. Martyn trembled as he reached for his sword with one hand, as the other wove its finger through Ren's hair. He pulled the sword out as Ren leaned back, a small smile on his face.

Tears dripped down Martyn's face as he readied his sword.

"Martyn?" Ren questioned, wiping the tears away.

"I'm so sorry." Martyn whispered as he plunged the sword into the king.

Ren stumbled as blood poured from his wound. Martyn pulled out the sword as Ren fell to the floor clutching at his stomach. Martyn kneeled down beside Ren and caressed his cheek as he lay dying.

"Martyn. . ." Ren managed to choke out as he coughed out blood.

"I love you." Martyn cried, kissing Ren again and again. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

And that's how Ren died, in his lover's arms. Betrayed but for the good of the world. Winter was over, spring had finally come, but at what cost?

I'm sorry it been a while since I've last posted! But I'm back, and with sadness? Sorry Ren, but it had to be done. IRL, where I live, the melt has begun! Goodbye snow, hello, spring! Thanks for reading,

Star