Us Against The World

Mean Gills

Limited Life

“Get back here, you two!” Bdubs cried, shooting an arrow that almost hit Scott.

“You can't escape us!” Scar cried, “I'll sic Mom on you!”

“Stop calling me Mom!” Cleo called to her ‘son’.

“Run Scott!” Martyn yelled, grabbing Scott's hand. The two put on a burst of speed as the ocean came into view.

The Mean Gills were out of breath from running and laughing. And as they passed TIES Tower Skizz and Impulse started shooting them. Scott ran ahead and jumped into the water, pulling Martyn with him. As they hit the water, Scott relished the coolness on his skin. He heard the Clockers debating on whether they should come in after them or not, so he made a quick decision. He motioned for Martyn to follow him down, and the ocean hybrid obliged, swimming after Scott.

Scott swam under a clump of coral and opened a trap door, dropping down into a secret underground base. Martyn followed a few seconds later, falling almost on top of Scott.

Martyn cried out in surprise, but Scott slapped his hand over the taller’s mouth. They sat there for a couple of moments until Scott was sure no one had heard them. He sighed in relief and collapsed against the wall. Scott looked around, realising how small their ‘secret base’ was. It wasn’t much of a base, to be honest.

“So nice place you've got here.” Martyn joked, trying to break the silence.

“Yes, do you like what I've done with it?” Scott joked, putting on a pompous voice.

“I'm expecting tea and crumpets.” Martyn smiled, and Scott burst out laughing, causing Martyn to throw his hand over Scott's mouth this time.

Scott reached up and pulled Martyn's hand off of his mouth, and a small smirk spread over his face.

“You're really getting touchy there, Martyn!” Scott joked, and a small blush creeped up Martyn's cheeks, tinting them pink.

“Yeah, well, you yelled!” He sputtered, looking away.

“That's your excuse then!” Scott laughed again, and Martyn pushed him away and started to dig the hole bigger. 

Scott silently giggled before he leaned against the wall and slumped onto the floor.

“Owww. . .” He groaned, looking to see a long cut across his leg.

“What’s wrong?” Martyn asked, crouching down to take a look at the cut. “Oh my word, that looks quite nasty.”

“It’s fine.” Scott reassured him, trying to stand up. He failed and fell quite dramatically onto the floor again.

“Scott this is clearly not fine.” Martyn crossed his arms and sighed. “Here.” Martyn ripped a long strip of cloth off of his shirt and tied it over the cut. Scott winced, and Martyn quickly apologised.  “Sorry Scott.”

“It’s fine.” Scott repeated wincing as Martyn poured some water over the cut.

“No Scott, this is not fine. You can't just keep repeating ‘it’s fine’ so that no one will worry.”

“But I don’t want you to worry about me.” Scott explained as Martyn finished wrapping his wound. “I’ve already made you a target because I’m a green name. The yellows are after me. And you. I don’t want you to get hurt because of me.” He hugged his knees to his chest, and a tear dripped down his face.

“Hey, hey Scott. It’s okay, I would have been in danger anyway, with or without you.” Martyn wiped the tear off of Scott’s cheek and held him close. “We’re in this together.” He whispered, “You and me against the rest of the world.”

Scott sighed and took comfort in the fact that no matter how many enemies he made or how many people wanted his blood, he would still have Martyn. His Mean Gill, beside him every step of the way.

“Thanks, Martyn.”

“Any time, Scott,” Martyn whispered, holding him close. “Any time.”

Yay! I love Mean Gills!