It Would've Happened Anyway

Double Life

Jimmy x Tango

Fluff? Idk.

Tango walked through the caves, his fire providing enough light so he could see where he was going. The darkness was creeping in from the corners, but Tango wasn’t bothered by it. He wiped his brow with the back of his hand and sighed, checking his inventory. He didn’t have much, but he needed to go deeper if he wanted to get anything good. He prepared to set off again and lifted his fiery tail up like a torch. He noticed a piece of iron laying discarded on the floor, and he automatically picked it up and dusted it off. He dropped it suddenly when he heard a sizzling from behind him. He whipped his head around and lifted his shield up, but it was too late. The creeper exploded, taking both Tango and his soulmate with him.

<Tango was blown up by creeper>

<Jimmy died>

Tango arrived at spawn, gasping in pain. He could still feel the phantom burns up his side, and when he looked down at his left arm, he could still see the slowly receding burn marks. He knew that he needed protection and safety, so he immediately climbed the nearest tree. Tango heaved himself up into its branches, finding a safe spot to perch until regeneration fixed up his burns.

He sighed, not even wanting to look down at his communicator, which was blowing up with reactions to his death. Tango just wanted to disappear. He had died first and within the first few hours of the new season. He was embarrassed that he had not only died first, but he had brought down his new soulmate with him. Tango didn’t want a soulmate for one specific reason, Jimmy. He had always liked Jimmy in the other seasons, but the overwhelming sadness Tango felt when Jimmy got out first each time was more than platonic. He truly loved the canary, and even the thought of his being soulbound to someone else hurt Tango’s soul.

Tango sighed and pulled his knees to his chest because, unfortunately, he loved Jimmy. And that was inconvenient because it was accident-prone, cursed, out first, Jimmy. Tango didn’t want to love, because if you love someone, then you can be hurt by the person you love. Tango had been betrayed before back in Last Life, and he didn’t want it to happen again. Ever again.

Suddenly Tango heard a voice calling out to him from below and he looked down to see the one person he didn’t expect. The man below was an objectively cute blond, with a blue jacket over a white shirt, and he wore dark blue jeans and a guilty smile. It was Jimmy, and Tango didn’t believe it.

“Tango!” Jimmy cried, and Tango wondered if he should answer. “Tango it’s okay, I’m not mad! I would’ve killed us sooner or later anyway, so at least we’ve gotten over that.”

Tango let out an involuntary laugh, and Jimmy looked up, spotting him. Jimmy grinned, and Tango felt his face begging to heat up. He quickly swung down from the tree and landed safely on the ground beside Jimmy with a smirk before he overbalanced and fell over.

“Need some help, soulmate?” Jimmy said with a smile, holding out his hand to Tango.

“Anytime now.” Tango said, and Jimmy laughed.

Tango reached out, and as their hands connected, Tango began to blush, and his hair lit up brighter. Tango wrapped his hand around Jimmy's as the canary hauled him up with a laugh. Jimmy pulled him a little too much, and Tango flew right into Jimmy's arms. The canary reacted by wrapping his wings around Tango and holding him close to his chest with a smile and a short laugh. Tango gasped, and Jimmy blushed as he realized what he did, quickly pulling his wings away. Tango slowly stepped back in embarrassment and sighed, already missing the warmth.

“So.” Jimmy said, and Tango grinned at him. “Soulmates, hun?”

“Jimmy and Tango.” Tango said laughing, and Jimmy blushed slightly. “The best worst decision ever.”

Jimmy reached his hand out and firmly gripped Tango’s.

“I don’t know.” Jimmy spoke softly, rubbing his thumb over Tango’s knuckles. “Seems like a good idea to me.”

Tango could feel his face warming, and he knew it was probably turning an alarming shade of red. He looked down quickly to avoid making eye contact with Jimmy, but the canary clearly had other plans. Jimmy reached over and cupped Tango’s cheek, pulling his face up so that they were only a few centimeters apart.

“Hey.” Jimmy whispered, wrapping his arms around Tango, pulling him closer.

He then did something completely unexpected, leaning in and kissing Tango softly on the lips. The blaze born sighed, closing his eyes in content as Jimmy wrapped his wings around Tango once again. The canary only stayed within the circle of Tango’s arms for a moment before pulling back and looking up at him through soft eyes. Jimmy pulled completely away from Tango and smiled gently before turning around and walking away.

Tango quickly hastened to follow, knowing that this soulmate thing might turn out well after all.

Ranchers fluff because I can.