Elemental Lore

Hey sorry, I don't mean to start off with another author's note, but fair warning, I basically just took elements that I liked from a few different creatures I have seen in various other stories (Vampires, Fae, Avatar, etc.) and combined them, so credit to the various authors who originally had these ideas. But the main idea was that I wanted a character who was already part of the story before twilight and already had a relationship with Jasper but was not a vampire. I have read in a few other stories how Jasper's gift allows him to feel the blood lust of other vampires, which honestly makes a lot of sense to me as I could never really understand how a man with his background lacks so much self-control. So, I wanted him to have someone who would be immortal like him and could help him with his control a little bit. Which leads to this chapter that outlines what her kind are and their powers.

Elementals are born just like humans are, growing at the same rate as them until they reach the age of 19. This is when they go through their "settling" and become immortal, no longer having to consume food or water, and gain some control over their first element. 

The settling, is essentially a more mild form of the vampire transition that lasts for 2-3 days, leaving them unable to even get out of bed during that time. During this time they go through a mystical growth-spurt where power rushes through their body all at once changing it so it can hold and use the power of the elements and keep them from aging. In the process it causes a high fever and is very uncomfortable/painful as all their cells shift and change to be able to contain this power. Not quite as bad as a vampire transition because they are already Elementals but it still hurts and leaves them bedridden for the duration of the process. Luckily, unlike vampires, they sleep through some of it as their body forces them to rest to conserve energy as they go through the process.

The element that they receive first is thought to be determined by the personality of the child. Though all Elementals tend to be playful, enjoying games, those who receive air are also often free spirits, preferring to run wild through the world with no care for the "chains" that may try to bind them to one place. In contrast, those more aligned with the earth elements, tend to be more "rooted" preferring to settle down into a routine and move at a slower pace. 

Those who gain fire first are typically the children who struggle to contain themselves; they are passionate and have no trouble speaking their mind. They burn with an intensity that is impossible to ignore. Children who are the opposite of this, who hide everything beneath a mask of calmness, never letting on that underneath there are currents and storms just waiting for someone to foolishly challenge them, often gain the element of water first.

From then on, after their 19thbirthday, every 50 or so years after their body has fully adjusted to thechange, they go through another "settling" that acts as a magical growth spurtand grants them the ability to manipulate another of the 4 elements. These"settlings" are also times when the elemental will gain immunity to eachelement.

Up until the time where they gain the ability to manipulate that element,they are still vulnerable to it. Though time does not touch them, they can still bekilled, even if it is difficult due to the rate at which they heal. 

What thismeans is until they gain air, they can still be suffocated. 

Until they gainearth, they can still be poisoned by the flora and fauna of this world. 

Untilthey gain fire, they can still be burnt, and until they gain water they canstill be drowned. 

In their society, while an elemental may reach the age ofmaturity at 19, they are still not considered fully grown until they haveundergone another 3 settlings and gained full immunity to and control over the4 elements.

An Elemental that has undergone all 4 settlings can only be killed when the damage inflicted is too much for their body to heal from. Such as their heart or head being removed or the death of their fated.

If their fated is a supernatural, female Elementals are also unable tohave children until this time, as their bodies are still too fragile to handlethe burden of it. The Elemental gene however remains dominate, no matter whothe mate is. But the child does often develop extra strength, which is why the motherhas to be fully matured, so her body is strong enough to handle the strain itwill place on her.