Where it all Falls Apart

Sadly, their marriage was not meant to be, as shortly after Jasper left he was attacked and turned by the vampire Maria, who wanted him to join her vampire army. For the first year, fearing what would happen to Adeline if he, a monster, were to get anywhere near her, he stayed away. Which gave Maria the perfect opportunity to manipulate him into believing that they were mates. He believed her lies and stayed by her side, fighting endless battles for her and training her newborns, earning himself a reputation as the "God of War".

Even if he had doubts about what she said, and he sometimes found himself thinking of Adeline in place of his supposed mate, he stayed. Believing that she would never be able to accept the monster he had become and that she would be happier without him.

Although had he known the truth of her situation, he would not have hesitated for a second before tearing Maria, his supposed mate, apart to get to her.

In truth, a week after Jasper had been attacked and turned, a letter had arrived home to an eager Adeline, awaiting news of her beloved mate and fiancee. Although what this letter contained was not the news anyone wanted to hear. The letter informed her that Major Jasper Whitlock had been declared missing in action and was presumed dead when his horse was found, belongings still strapped to his saddle and a smear of blood across it. Enclosed in the letter was a medal of honour for the youngest Major in American History. 

She fell into despair at the thought of her lost mate, and knowing that because they had never completed the bond that he would not be taking her with him to whatever waited after death. She locked herself in her room for 3 days sobbing at the loss of the boy who had made her smile her first day in her new home. Who was truly the one that made this town feel like home, and for the man that she loved with all her heart and had planned to spend all her days with.

On her forth day of mourning Jasper, she actually worked up the energy to leave the house, intending to go to the willow that held so many fond memories of the two. Because his body was never recovered, there was only an empty coffin buried under his headstone. Originally, his family had intended to have his medal buried there, allowing Adeline to be the one to place it in just before it was lowered into the ground. However, as she stood next to the empty coffin, she had realized that to do so would be pointless. Instead, she had hidden it in her dress and planned to leave it under the tree where they had always met. It was where the two had always felt the most free and happy and she thought it right that that was the place she go to mourn him and say her final goodbyes.

On the way however, she encountered Fredrick, the son of the mayor, and in Jasper's words "a pretentious ass". Something she would never repeat, but did secretly agree with. Especially when, as soon as Jasper had left for the war it seemed, he had taken to following her around and attempting to court her. It seemed like no matter how many times she brushed him off or refused his advances he just kept coming back, believing that they were a perfect match.

In his mind they suited each other. After all he was "rich and handsome" (though in her mind he could never compare to Jasper) and she was the "prettiest girl in town". Or she would be, once she stopped rebelling and running all over the woods with that farm boy. Once she did that, he was convinced she would be the perfect wife for someone of his standing.

Approaching her just as the town faded from view behind the trees, he greeted her with a wave and a cheery smile. "How are you doing this fine morning Miss Adeline? Out to enjoy the sun?"

"No I'm off the visit mine and Jasper's tree if you really must know" she said curtly, wishing to hurry this up so she could bid him good day.

"Right ... Jasper. Don't you think it's time you moved on. I mean it makes sense that you were upset. He was your friend after all. But don't you think it is time you moved on from your little dalliance with the farm boy and focused on your future? I mean really locking yourself in for three days is really quite excessive don't you think?" He said with a tone that implied he was talking to a foolish child, an indulgent smile on his face.