Meeting the Kings

They all walked further into the building, Edward trying to reassure Bella, as the two guards now followed behind them and Jane led the way. Eventually they came to an elevator and they all stepped in, standing silently as they descended. Adeline was becoming more and more nervous as they went. Especially with the way the guards kept glancing over at her and she realized that they were old enough that they had probably known other Elementals, perhaps even her mother. She supposed they were trying to figure out how she smelled like one if her kind was supposed to be extinct.

By the time the elevator stopped Adeline was so lost in her own head and worries, she didn't notice anything. She moved along automatically following the group, until she heard the sounds of a set of big doors opening. Her eyes flew up to look across the room. Or more specifically the three people across the room. All of them were sitting on thrones, and she recognized them from the painting in Carlisle's office. These were the three kings; Aro in the centre, Caius to his left, and Marcus off to his right.

Her focus stayed mainly on Marcus and observed him closer, she had always wondered just how he had endured so long. She had heard from Carlisle that he had lost his mate, and looking at him now, she thought maybe Carlisle was wrong. Maybe he hadn't really survived his loss. He looked like the walking dead. Not truly part of this world anymore, but still bound to it in some way that would not let him move on and find peace with his dead mate. Her heart went out to him. No one should have to endure an eternity, knowing that they would never again see the one person who made them whole.

Her eyes snapped over to Aro as he began to speak, focusing back in on the people around her as he stood up.

"What a happy surprise! Bella is alive after all! Isn't that wonderful! I love a happy ending! They are so rare!" He took Edward's hand in his and his eyes flicked about, obviously seeing all of Edwards memories.

He said something then, too low for Adeline, standing as far back as she could, to hear before asking in a louder voice "Her blood appeals to you so much. It makes me thirsty. How can you stand to be so close to her?"

"It is not without difficulty."

"Yes, I can see that."

"Aro can read every thought I've ever had with one touch" Edward explained, answering Bella's unasked question. "And now you know everything. So, get on with it."

"Edward!" Adeline gasped, shocked that he would be so rude to the kings. 

She then immediately slapped her hand over her mouth as her eyes widened, seeing all eyes in the room turn to her.

"Ah, yes the elemental" Aro exclaimed moving towards her slowly, excitement clear in his eyes. Adeline clutched Alice's hand as he approached.

"Impossible!" Caius shouted. "The last Elemental died almost 300 years ago."

"Yes, brother that is what we thought, but ... Adeline is it? Is right here in front of us and you can tell that she is very clearly an Elemental. So, tell me child, how is it that you came to be?" He stopped just in front of her and she swallowed, nervous at being the centre of the Volturi's attention.

"My-my mother was Celine, she found her mate in Roland Volturi, the one you sent to guard her. When the other Elemental was killed, my father decided to fake their deaths and flee to North America in the hopes that my mother could live in peace without having to fear for her life. I was born a few decades later." Her voice trembled as she told them, worried that they would be angry with her parent's actions.

"Ah, I see" Aro said shortly. His smile was still on his face, but it had tightened and she could tell he was upset at the news. "And where are your parents now? Surely, they would not let you come here alone?"