Intruder

When Monday came around and Edward returned, they had filled him in on what had happened. He was upset that they had failed to capture her and had actually tried to blame Emmet for what happened. Not that anyone let him. No one was happy with how he was acting. Least of all Rosalie and she made sure Edward knew it, which led to him storming out of the house in a huff.

When it was time, they once again pilled into their cars to head to school, Jasper keeping Adeline close the entire way. With Victoria on the loose, his protective instincts were working on overdrive and it seemed like the only way he could stay calm was to have Adeline at his side where he knew she would be safe. Luckily, they had all the same classes, which meant that he wouldn't have to be apart from her at all while at school, which was for the best. Given his current state the humans, more specifically the ones who thought it was okay to lust after HIS Adeline put him on edge more than usual.

As they pulled up and began to head inside, Jasper caught the scent of wolf and looked over to see one standing on the edge of the parking lot leaning against a bike. He also noticed Edward and Bella approaching them. 

Rolling his eyes at the drama that was no doubt about to go down, he turned back around and led Adeline inside and out of the rain. Trusting that his brother could at least handle talking to one wolf without exposing them all or getting into a fight.

Apparently, Bella decided to spend the day with the wolf, who Jasper knew she had more than platonic feelings for. Which unfortunately meant that him and his family got to suffer through Edward sulking all day. By the time Edward got word that Bella was home safe and sound, Jasper was contemplating stuffing him into a sack and sending him floating off down the river. If only to get some peace from his emotions and the headache they were giving him. As it was he was very grateful for the reprieve when Edward rushed out of the house to "make sure she hadn't been mauled by that mutt".

Not long after he had left though, they got a call stating that someone had been in Bella's house and he needed Emmet and Jasper to track him while he got Bella somewhere safe. Adeline pouted as Jasper got ready to head out, giving him a kiss and making him promise to be careful, before settling down on the couch to wait for him to return. She really hated being unable to help.

Edward and Bella arrived not long after though and they began to discus this new development.

"Who was it? Someone we know?" Carlisle hoped it might have just been a friend and not more trouble.

"A stranger. I didn't recognize their scent." Edward crushed that idea, worried about Bella and what the stranger wanted.

"A nomad passing through?" Esme suggested.

"A passerby wouldn't have left Bella's father alive" Rosalie rejected.

Jasper and Emmet returned then, Jasper informing them that "the scent disappear about five miles south of Bella's house" as he joined Adeline on the couch and Emmet moved to stand behind Rosalie.

"Someone's orchestrating this" Carlisle sighed.

"Victoria?" Bella asked.

"I would have seen her decide" Alice claimed shaking her head.

"It has to be the Volturi" Edward declared.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either" Alice looked up at him, "I've been watching Aro's decisions too."

"So, we keep looking." Emmet was not happy that there was someone else out there threatening his family.

"We'll also take shifts guarding Bella at her house." Carlisle stated.

"Another protection detail?" Rose was upset, it seemed they were always having to keep watch of the human now.

"Rosalie" Carlisle warned.

"No. she's right. You can't protect me, watch my dad, and search for the intruder." 

Adeline blinked in surprise; this might have been the most sensible Bella had ever sounded.

"And for Victoria" Rose was still mad she had slipped away from them.

"And keep yourselves fed." Bella finished.

"I'm not leaving you here defenceless" Edward declared, deciding for all of them it seemed, much to the irritation of some.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you starve. And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have ..." she trailed off at the end.

"What?" Edward asked.

"The wolves" she finished, saying it so quietly Adeline almost didn't catch it.

What followed after that was basically the equivalent of Edward having a hissy fit. He refused to even consider allowing the wolves near Bella, while the other members of the family considered it seriously. Sure, they weren't fond of the wolves, but they did consider themselves "protectors" and they were capable of hunting down a vampire. It honestly made sense to get them involved and it would lessen the burden on the family. Or as Rose put it, "letting those mangy mutts play guard dog so she would have more free time."

It took a few days to get everything settled andsorted out, but eventually the two groups figured out a schedule that wouldwork. With the Wolves guarding Bella and Charlie while the family hunted.

~Hey sorry for another short chapter, but I'm just now realizing how much of this movie centers on the love triangle between Bella, Edward and Jacob and the family only showing up when needed to deal with problems. So there may be another few chapters that are short like these last two~