Blending in with the Changing Times

On one of the rare occasions that the Cullen "children" had the house to themselves, as Carlisle had taken Esme out for their anniversary, Adeline sat in the living room wishing she could be anywhere else. Things had been going fine up until a few minutes ago. Adeline was leaning up against Jasper's legs reading as he played chess with Alice, while Edward, Emmet and Rosalie had been playing cards.

Soon though an argument had broken out between Rosalie and Edward about him using his powers to cheat. It was really nothing out of the usual, what was odd though was that today Rosalie had actually been mad enough to curse at him. Mostly due to the fact that she needed to feed soon. But the whole thing had shocked Adeline. Yes, she had grown accustomed to hearing the odd swear word spoken, given it was now more common to swear in public, but never had she heard a lady swear in front of others! She was from the south for goodness' sake. When a lady wanted to insult someone there, they used phrases, not vulgar words like what Rose had just used.

They all looked over at her then, taking in her shock at what Rosalie had said.

"What don't tell me you've never heard someone swear before?" Emmet joked.

"No, I have heard men use fowl language before, but never a woman in front of men."

All of them but Jasper blinked at this shocked. Jasper may not recall his entire human life, but he remembered the time period they grew up in. He had helped her adapt to the changes over the years, but he was still a Southern gentleman at heart. So swearing in front of a lady was not something he typically did. It was also not something Esme allowed in the house so he really wasn't surprised at her shock.

Though he did smirk at the memories of his lessons on how to properly ask for something in the bedroom. She always looked so magnificent as she begged for his cock, blushing the entire time.

Glancing up as he sensed Edward's rising discomfort, he met his brother's grimacing face. Rolling his eyes at his brother's "innocence", he focused back on the conversation in front of him.

"You know everyone uses 'fowl language' these days, right?" Emmet asked skeptically.

"I know but in my time it was not proper for a man to use such language in the presence of a lady, and no proper lady would ever dream of using such language in public where she could be heard."

Emmet laughed at that, "well shortie this ain't the past anymore!" A light entered his eyes then and Adeline got a bad feeling, "you know, we should teach you to swear!"

"Emmet" Rosalie scowled, none of them understanding why he wanted to do that.

"Oh, come on guys! We have to blend in, right? Well, how is she going to blend in if she gets all shocked the moment she hears a swear word? So, we should teach her to say some!"

"Oh. No thank you. That's very kind but I really don't think I need to learn." Adeline had her hands up in surrender as she shook her head. Although everyone else seemed to be thinking about it seriously. Even Jasper!

"See! You all get it" Emmet turned to face Adeline, "come on! Say fuck."

Adeline turned scarlet at that and kept her mouth firmly closed. It was one thing to say something like that in the bedroom with Jasper. It was another matter altogether to say that in front of her siblings, or worse, in public. She could just imagine what the women of her uncle's church congregation would say if they heard her say such a thing where others could hear.

Jasper gave her a small nudge, "come on Darlin' the faster you give in the faster you can get this over with."

She glared at him before looking down at her hands and muttering a small "fuck" almost too low for the vampires to hear.

"What was that? I didn't catch it?" Emmet put his hand up to his ear as he grinned.

"Fuck" she said again, louder this time, which set Emmet and Alice off. They threw their heads back laughing, the look on her face was absolutely adorable as she said it. Even Edward, Rosalie and Jasper were grinning at her.

Seeing no one on her side, she huffed out a breath of annoyance and swiped her hand up, using the wind to fling the cards into Emmet's face before storming out of the room.

Jasper caught up to her in the woods and they walked in silence until they were far enough away that none of the others would be able to hear them. "I can't believe I actually said that in front of others." She muttered her face still red. "If the church women could see me now. And did those two have to enjoy it so much? It's not like I can't swear, but to do it front of others is just strange."

"Nice to know I apparently don't count. I seem to remember a younger you cursing often in front of me."

"When did I ever do that" she asked with a glare.

"Often when we were sitting under our willow tree. I would get to listen to you cursing out all the town ladies for trying to force you to stay inside to learn how to properly sow." He brought her into his arms, leaning down for a kiss, but she pulled away.

"Hey I can sow! I just didn't understand why they insisted on holding their silly lessons on the nicest days of the year."

He placed a kiss on her head. "Of course, you can Darlin'. I would never doubt your skill."

Of course, he knew she could sow. After all he still had that embroidered handkerchief that she had given him when he went off to war for good luck. He had carried it with him everywhere, even after he was changed and thought her lost to him. It now resided safely in a drawer of their desk along with the other few things they still had of their past.