Meeting the Major

It had been a few weeks since Adeline and Jasper had been reunited and left Maria and her coven behind. Adeline had spent that time getting to know Peter and Charlotte and learning about how the world had changed since she had been imprisoned. She had been captured in 1863 and the world had changed a lot in the 75 years she had been imprisoned. Of course, the three vampires had only realized this when she had asked how the metal carriages were able to move without horses to pull them. That had been the moment that the three had truly begun to understand just how much she had missed and how long she had been locked up.

Today, however, was special. It would be the first day that Adeline was going out into society. After Jasper had freed her, she hated the indoors and spent every moment she could outside, but she always stayed in their yard or explored the woods with Jasper trailing behind her. But she had yet to set foot in a city. Due to her lack of knowledge and her need to adjust to simple idea of finally being free, everyone had thought it best to put off that particular experience for a while.

Peter and Charlotte led the two to the edge of the city before taking off to hunt. They walked along silently, Adeline tightly clutching Jasper's arms as her eyes moved all around trying to take in everything at once. Unfortunately, it was not long before she soon became overwhelmed at being surrounded by so many people and sounds. Having lived in that barn, only interacting with Maria, she had become unaccustomed to such things. Now everything was too loud, too busy, too noisy and the feeling of so many people around her was overwhelming. Her breath came out in pants as she struggled to breath and she felt panic well up within her.

~~~~~~~~~~~

As they had walked along Jasper had kept a close watch on her emotions just in case. He was enjoying the feeling of her amazement at all the new sights and happiness to be out in the world again. He was happy that Maria had not destroyed Adeline's ability to appreciate the smallest things like she had when they were kids. He had often caught her becoming enchanted by butterflies or the way the light shone down through the trees. He had never understood what was so magical about it, but he had always thought she looked positively stunning as she stared at whatever had caught her interest, eyes shining and a bright smile on her face.

He came suddenly out of his thoughts however, as he sensed her rising panic and sense of being overwhelmed. He pulled her off into a deserted ally and away from the people and sounds of the street, sending her calming waves as he did. Digging through his pocket he pulled out his medal and pressed it into her hands as they walked. While they had not really discussed its significance to her yet, he did know that for some reason it helped to ground her. When they were far enough into the ally he stopped and she slid down to the ground bringing her knees up as a few stray tears escaped her eyes.

His heart broke at the sight of her, of his Adeline; so carefree and wild, looking so broken and scared. He knelt down in front of her and pulled her into his arms. "Oh Darlin', you'll be alright. I'm right here and I swear no one will ever harm you again."

Although it seemed as if the world was going to put that promise to the test sooner than expected. They had stayed in that ally for a while more, her cradled in his arms as she calmed down, and just as they were preparing to leave a group of three men turned down it.

"Well, well. What have we here boys?" the first said, sliding a knife from his pocket.

"A couple of easy marks I'd say" the one on the left said, pulling out a knife of his own.

"The woman's not too bad looking either" the last commented, cracking his knuckles.

Jasper felt his rage rise as the Major strained at his chains begging to break free and tear these men apart for even looking at his woman. The men approached as Jasper stood to his full height.

"You're right Josh, she is a real looker." The first man gave a whistle, tilting his head to the side to get a better look at her. "She looks upset though. Why don't you just leave her here with us boy and we'll make sure she's well taken care of." The other two laughed at this, which was the last straw that allowed the Major to break free.

He slammed the first up against the wall, knocking the knife from his hands as he did. The other with a knife ran at him. Holding the first up against the wall with one hand, the Major used his other to knock him out with one hit. The third man backed off in fear, realizing that they had messed with someone they shouldn't have.

"Now you listen to me you bastards. Here's how this is gonna work," Major growled lowly, "you're gonna pick up your friend and walk away, and I'm not gonna kill you all for trying to mess with MY girl. If you decide you want to fight then I'm gonna rip you all apart piece by piece and bathe in your blood as you scream." The two men stared at him in fear, his red eyes almost glowing in the dark ally.

"Now then, what's your choice?" Major shoved away from the man he was holding. The two wasted no time in grabbing their fallen friend and fleeing the ally, wanting to get away from him as fast as possible.

When they were gone, Major turned back to Adeline, who was still on the ground and staring up at him in shock as she clutched the medal tighter. He held back a flinch as he stared at her. He had held back against those men, letting them leave alive as he did not want to scare her, but it seemed he had anyways. This is why he and Jasper had tried to avoid them meeting; while she claimed to know about what he had done, they both thought that the Major would scare her and they weren't sure they could handle her rejection.

"So, you-you're the Major?" she asked finally, her voice trembling. Major blinked down at her, how could she possibly know that?

"I heard some of the newborns talking about you. It took me awhile to figure out that you two were the same person though" she stood up slowly, almost falling as her legs almost gave out. Major instinctively moved to catch her, shocked when she did not flinch back and instead held onto him for support.

"It's a pleasure to meet you ma'am" Major said finally finding his voice.

She giggled, "I could say the same. Although, why didn't you call me by my name? It's not like you don't know me?"

"I may know you, but you don't know me." He looked away from her at this embarrassed, which was new for him. Until now he had not really felt anything, he left that to Jasper and it was what had allowed them to survive the wars.

She let out another shaky laugh, "I suppose that's true. Well then, can I interest you in a walk so I may get to know you? I think I've seen all of the city I want to today."

He smiled down a her and shifted so that her armwas in his, "it would be my pleasure". He tipped an imaginary hat at her andthe two set off.