Meeting the New Girl

Waking up in the morning, Adeline opened her eyes to look at the wall of greens and browns that was the forest outside the window. Shifting around, she felt a pair of strong arms around her waist tighten to lock her in place.

"Stop moving Darlin'. I'm comfortable" Jasper said lazily.

She laughed, freeing one of her arms to give him a small shove that did absolutely nothing (damn his vampire body and strength). "How is it that I'm the one that has to sleep, and yet you're the one that struggles to get up in the morning Tesoro?"

"I don't struggle to get up in the morning. I struggle to understand why I must get up and deal with the world, when I could simply stay here with my beautiful girl wrapped up in my arms." He told her, that crooked smile of his that she loved stretching across his face.

"Isn't it obvious" she giggled, "the reason why that can't happen can all be explained in one word; Alice."

Just then, as if summoned by the mere mention of her name, the small pixie burst through their bedroom door. "Get up! We have to get ready for school! We don't have time to laze about, we have to figure out what you guys are going to wear!" she exclaimed before rushing off into their closet to select outfits for the two of them, being far to perky at the thought of attending school.

Over the years, the pair had learned it was best to just let Alice pick out their outfits. Otherwise, they would be subjected to her rants about how they could have improved their looks all throughout the day. It was a simple enough sacrifice, especially since the two never really cared for fashion. So long as Alice left Jasper his cowboy boots, and Adeline's was not too revealing Alice could pick what she wanted.

This arrangement worked especially well for Adeline. She had never quite adjusted to modern fashion that showed a lot more skin. She liked to be fashionable, but she did not feel comfortable exposing a great deal of skin. Especially not her wrists. Though the marks left by the chains had healed enough that no human would notice them unless they were looking for them, she was still self-conscious about having her wrists showing. But she could always trust Alice to find her outfits that did both and thus was happy let her have her way. Although most days, by the time school ended Adeline could usually be found wrapped in one of Jasper's jackets or sweaters, so it usually didn't matter what she wore.

~No judgment on people who do like to show off skin, she just comes from a time when showing her knees was considered scandalous. And of course, if you prefer to imagine her wearing more revealing clothes go for it, this was just my personal thoughts on how a girl who missed 75 years of watching fashion evolve might feel. She did after all jump straight from corsets and floor length skirts straight to women being able to wear skirts above the knees and even *gasp* pants~

Rushing out of the closet, two outfits in her arms, Alice practically threw them at the pair, demanding that they get ready immediately.

"What exactly is it that has you so on edge today? Your even more hyper than usual?" Jasper questioned with a groan, falling back on the bed and pulling Adeline with him.

"Because there's a new student starting today!" she cried, as if that answered all the questions. Which, it didn't.

"So? Ally, you know we never get involved with humans, it would be far to easy for them to notice something off about us if we did." Adeline reminded her gently as she sat up and once again began the process of untangling herself from her husband's arms. She may love it when he curled up with her after returning from his hunts, but it made it damn near impossible to get ready in the morning.

"I know, but that doesn't mean we should not look our best. After all first impressions are important!" she said in a tone that implied they were silly for not recognizing this fact. But both Adeline and Jasper knew her too well to be fooled.