Boy Meets Girl

The first time Adeline met Jasper was just after she had moved in with her Uncle Matthew. Still grieving for her parents, and tired of the stares of the townsfolk, she had retreated into the woods to find some peace. Instead, she found a boy who looked to be about her age, with his shoes off and pants rolled up, standing in the middle of a stream.

"Do you want to join me?" the boy had asked her

"I can't, girls aren't allowed to do such things" she said, repeating what the ladies of her old town would say with a roll of her eyes.

She had always thought such rules stupid and nonsensical. Her mother had agreed with her and the two had often snuck off to "enjoy the summer weather properly" as her mother would laughingly say. Her father would always track them down eventually and though he would pretend to be upset at them for disappearing he would always end up joining them as they laughed and splashed about.

Poor Adeline felt her heart clench at this, realizing that there would be no more of that anymore. She no longer had anyone that would understand her need to ignore the rules of society and enjoy the nature around her.

Her thoughts however, were interrupted as the boy spoke up.

"Well why not? It seems like silly rule to me. After all, it is hot out today, why would you not be allowed to cool off? Unless of course you like suffering under all those skirts?" He asked with a crooked smile on his face. Obviously teasing her. She smiled and let out a small giggle, perhaps the first true sign of happiness she had shown since her parent's death. She was absolutely delighted to find that someone in this town had the same opinion she did of those silly rules.

"You're right. Why should I suffer in order to please a bunch of old busy bodies I hardly know?" and with that she kicked off her boots, lifted her skirts and stepped into the stream, letting out a sigh as the cool water ran over her feet. "Oh, that feels so much better".

He chuckled, "of course, it was my idea after all. I'm Jasper by the way. Jasper Whitlock".

"I'm Adeline Kokkinos."

"Well, it is a pleasure to meet you ma'am" he said giving her a mock bow and taking her hand to place a kiss on, which ended in both of them laughing.

They spent the rest of the afternoon splashing around in the stream, laughing and getting to know one another. By the time they made their way home, both soaked and caked in mud from their shoving match, they were best friends.

As the years past and they grew older, Jasper becoming a strong and dashing young man and Adeline a beautiful and wild young girl, they remained friends. The town had quickly grown accustomed to seeing them both together, knowing that where one was, the other couldn't be far behind. 

They were well suited to each other, especially as they grew older and society began to try harder to dictate how they should act. Jasper never judged her for her reluctance to follow social norms, preferring to run through the woods on the outskirts of town, instead of staying in to practice her sowing. Instead, he joined her on her explorations, never once trying to tame her wild spirit that had her dancing through the trees to a melody only she could hear. And she never laughed at him when he mentioned that he wanted to learn more about the world. 

For most boys his age, a simple education was all they wanted. They were happy with their lives never seeking anything else. But he wanted to learn more about everything, or more aptly, he wanted to see everything. He wanted to explore the world and discover all the wonders it held. Which is why on many afternoons, they could be found laying under a willow tree by the edge of the stream. It was there that they talked about anything and everything, including all the places they would eventually travel to together when they were old enough.

But unfortunately, in the year 1861, when they both turned 17, their grand plans had to be put on hold. War broke out across the country, and Jasper's father having fallen ill the year before, had not recovered well enough to fully provide for his family again. So, in order to help support his family Jasper had lied about his age and signed up to go to war. They kept in touch through letters, and spent as much time together as they could on the few occasions when Jasper would be able to return home. 

It was one of these occasions, just after they had both turned 19 and Jasper had returned home upon hearing that she had suffered from a terrible bout of illness that something wonderful happened.

Adeline had finally realized just why it was that she felt so at peace around Jasper and why she trusted him so instinctively. Now that she had "settled", coming into her powers as an air elemental, she could feel the pull her mother had always told her about and knew that the boy she had been in love with since that first day at the stream was her fated. The one she was destined to spend the rest of her life with.

Jasper also came to a similar revelation afterhearing about her illness. While he could not feel the mate bond as she did,being only human, he did know that he loved her deeply and wanted to spend therest of his life with her. Not only as her best friend, but also as herhusband. Which is why on the last night before he once again set off, under thewillow where they had spent so many afternoons talking, he proposed to her,promising to marry her as soon as the war was over.