Overview of the Years

Adeline and Jasper stayed with Peter and Charlotte for the first few years. Mostly so Jasper could learn to live the life of a nomadic vampire and to give Adeline a chance to get readjusted to the outside world she had been separated from for so long. Jasper at least got the chance to observe and interact with the world over the years, so he knew of the changes that had occurred, but for Adeline who had jumped from the world of 1863 to 1938, it was a struggle to keep up sometimes. But all three were patient with her and understanding. Charlotte especially was a lot of help, teaching her all about the new freedoms that women enjoyed, both in terms of opportunities and fashion. By the time the pairs separated, the two of them were very close, and promised to keep in touch when her and Jasper went their own way.

They travelled alone together for a few years, both of them still struggling with their pasts. Adeline often became overwhelmed in crowds leading to panic attacks due to her having spent so long alone. On the nights she slept, she often had nightmares she woke up crying from, convinced that meeting Jasper again had all been a dream and she was still stuck in that barn praying that he would come back from each battle alive. Each dream reinforcing her fears of ever entering another barn again. The one time she tried, she could not even get within forty feet of it without having a full on break down. Not even Jasper had been able to help calm her down then. She had spent an hour rocking back and forth as she cried and held his medal so hard her hands bled.

But Jasper was there by her side through all of it, supporting her and comforting her as she healed and got better, just as she was for him. He struggled with the guilt of his past, and there were days where he would pull away from her convinced that he really was a monster. She would drag him into her arms on those days and tell him over and over again that that was not the case. Other times his hunger would get the best of him, or his gift would become too much and the pain of feeling what his victims felt would lead to him starving himself. On those days they would find secluded areas, far from any humans and sit there talking for hours before he was ready to go anywhere near a human again.

Over time they got better, both of them would sometimes relapse and struggle with their various problems, but over all they were getting better. It was ten years after they had left Maria behind, and six years since they said goodbye to Charlotte and Peter that they found themselves in Philadelphia, ducking into a diner to escape from the rain. It was here that they would meet Alice, the girl that would become their best friend, sister, confidant, and the one who would lead them to their family; the Cullens.