Edward's Return

Edward did eventually come back as he had promised, although tensions remained high as Rosalie had yet to forgive him for allowing a human to drive him away from his family. She also was apparently not afraid to show it, or think it in this case, if the glares the family caught the two exchanging were anything to go by.

Despite that, and the worry about his control, come Monday Edward was in his Volvo on his way to school with the rest of his siblings. Upon arriving he got out of his car and took a breath thankful that Bella was not here yet.

Adeline came up to him. "Are you going to be okay Edward?" she asked, concerned for her brother.

He smiled down at her, "yeah Adie, I'll be fine. I have my hunger under control now."

She smiled at him and wished him good luck as Jasper came to join her and they set off for their first class.

The day was pretty boring, just another uneventful day at Fork's High School and all of them were happy when school was finally over. They were all gathered by their cars talking among themselves as Edward stared at Bella across the parking lot.

All of a sudden though, they heard a screeching of tires and they all looked up to see a van sliding across the pavement towards Bella. Before any of them could even think to do something, Edward sped over to save the girl. The family was helpless to do anything but watch as he not only used his speed to reach her but also his strength to stop the van.

As he stood up to face them, they all sent him either glares or looks of disappointment, knowing that at the very least he had just outed them as more than normal humans to at least one student. Never mind the countless ones in the parking lot crowding around the van that might have noticed him.

As Bella was loaded into the ambulance and Edward climbed into the front to ride with her, Rosalie finally broke the silence.

"That idiot! He just risked exposing us all to the humans! And for what?! A girl that has absolutely nothing to do with our family!" She whispered furiously. Emmet was quick to reach out and pull her into his side in an attempt to calm and comfort her, although with her current mood it didn't do much.

Jasper had also pulled Adeline to his side, not only in an attempt to comfort her, but also to ground himself. Feeling the emotions of all those panicking teens at once was taking its toll and he was finding it hard to keep from losing himself in it all. Sensing this Adeline shifted around until she could wrap her arms around him and tried her best to send him calm emotions to focus on. "Tesoro, are you okay?" she asked quietly. He sent her a reassuring smile, but did not speak.

"We should get back home," Alice said, interrupting Rosalie's string of muttered curses about Edward's stupidity. "We will have to talk about this as a family later and we all need time to calm down before that."

"You all head home, I'm going to the hospital to talk to Carlisle before Edward can try and downplay this disaster" Rosalie seethed before hopping in his Volvo and speeding off after the ambulance.

The rest were quick to get into the Jeep and head home, Jasper holding Adeline the whole way and worrying about what it would mean if the Volturi found out about this incident and came here. One of his biggest fears was always what they would do if they found out that Elementals were not as extinct as they thought.

Rationally he knew that as bonded mates it went against their laws for them to take her from him, but whoever said fear was rational. For all he knew, under some pretext of protecting her as the last of her kind they would whisk her off to parts unknown and he would never see her again. Or in a fit of rage over her parents faking their deaths they may just kill her. Pulling her closer at the thought, he nuzzled her neck, inhaling her calming scent as they drove.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night while the humans slept, the Cullen clan sat around their dinning room table arguing. The topic; whether or not they should do something about Isabella Swan, a girl who had now seen too much. Rosalie and Jasper were on the side of getting rid of the girl, making it look like one of those accidents she was so prone to. While Edward and Alice argued against it. Carlisle stayed mostly quiet, listening to both sides of the argument, and trying to decide what was best. He did not believe it right to kill an innocent girl when she had done nothing wrong, but at the same time, Edward saving her today had put his family in danger. Adeline, Emmet, and Esme were quiet throughout the argument, thinking things through and trying their best to not get involved with the argument that was quickly devolving into a yelling match between Edward and Rosalie.

"Please, Carlisle, I can do it! You know I have the control. I can get into her room tonight, give her a hit on the head and she will never wake up again. She won't feel anything and no one will suspect a thing. They will put it down to her head injury being worse than they originally thought!" Rosalie pleaded, desperate to get her father figure to see things her way so she could fix her brother's mistake.

"You're talking about killing an innocent girl, do you really think that's the right choice?!" Edward shouted, also desperate to win, as he did not want to lose the human that fascinated him.

"It would solve our problems if she were to not wake up again" Jasper said quietly, squeezing Adeline's hand, knowing how she hated it when their family fought.

Edward whirled on him, "solve our problem!? Is that all you're thinking about!"

He turned on Adeline next. From reading her thoughts he knew she did not want to kill Bella, being against killing in general, and if he could only get her to speak up on his side then Jasper would also switch to his side. "What about you Adie? Do you have an opinion on this? Or are you just a mindless pet who does whatever Jasper wants you to!?" He spit, trying to provoke her into joining the argument. He hoped if she were mad she would jump in and declare that he was wrong and she supported his side.

Unfortunately for him, he had forgotten just who she was mated too and only realized his mistake too late when a look of hurt overtook her face and he heard a menacing growl from beside her.

"You better watch your mouth boy. Insult her again and it will be the last mistake you ever make," the Major growled as he slowly stood up from his seat beside her. His eyes were pitch black and his thoughts were completely focused on how best to kill the boy vampire in front of him if he hurt HIS Darlin' again.

Edward flinched back from the threat in Major's mind and words, completely focused on the face that held no mercy and promised only pain should he speak so foolishly again.

"Enough" Carlisle spoke for the first time in a while, "Edward, Major please sit back down. We are a family and I will not have us tearing each other apart. For the moment all Bella has are suspicions. So long as we give her no other reason to suspect us, we will be fine. As such, I suggest we all keep our distance and act as we normally would and she will forget all about the incident soon enough." He spoke with finality and with the Patriarch having made his decision, the family broke up to do their own thing.

Jasper, regaining control, quickly whisked hisgirl upstairs to comfort her. They spent the rest of the night wrapped in eachothers arms taking comfort from the other as they worried about what wouldhappen in the next few days.