Fitting in

~yeah, sorry, not sorry. I know the last chapter's ending sounded like a good transition to Twilight and its events, but I decided to add more about the years they spent with the Cullens before they met Bella~

Seeing Jasper's Scars

The first few months with the Cullens were an adjustment. Adeline was still wary around the others and Jasper was on edge a lot still not fully trusting them around Adeline or Alice. Alice of course was the exception, taking to them all like a fish to water.

Surprisingly the one that Adeline got along best with was Rosalie. Though she had yet to open up and share her story with the blond, Rosalie seemed to just understand that Adeline had a hard time with certain things and needed someone who would not push her. This meant that the two could often be found talking in the garage, Rosalie working on her cars and Adeline sitting on a bench off to the side handing her tools. Alice often joined them, sketch book in hand as she worked on designing clothes while chatting with them.

Jasper on the other hand, connected best with Emmet. It was an odd paring; the loud carefree man-child and the Texan soldier who had never quite lost his military bearing. Adeline wasn't surprised though. She knew Jasper was competitive and enjoyed matching his skills against others and she realized early on that Emmet was similar, always looking for someone to compete and play with.

What really sealed the friendship was when Emmet had challenged Jasper to a fight. Emmet had been sparring with Edward and getting frustrated as Edward used his mind reading abilities to 'cheat' as Emmet called it. Jasper had been reluctant, remembering all the fights he had been in while with Maria, but Emmet had insisted and eventually he had agreed.

The fight had not lasted long, though Emmet had superior strength, Jasper had the experience. The Cullens had all been shocked at his abilities and a little wary of him, especially after Emmet had demanded a rematch and managed to rip Jasper's sleeve during it. Up until that point Jasper had been sure to cover his scars, as other vampires tended to take them as a warning to stay away. After all, if a vampire had scars from other vampires, then it must mean that they were skilled fighters to have come out on top and thus others should be wary of their abilities.

Emmet however, hadn't seen it that way; he had declared them 'awesome' and challenged Jasper to another fight determined to beat him. The two had spent the rest of the afternoon brawling, Jasper rediscovering that not all fights had to be life or death and coming to enjoy the challenge Emmet presented by the end of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The Cullens Meet the Major

It wasn't until a year after they had met the Cullens that they were introduced to the Major, although it was by accident. Emmet had stolen a book from Edward and refused to give it back until Edward agreed to play his new game with him. This had led to Edward chasing him around the house and the two accidentally bumping into Adeline, who was coming into the room at the time. She had fallen, knocking over a small table and causing the vase on it to break.

That was the scene Jasper walked in on, having just come back from his hunt with Alice; Adeline on the floor, a broken vase by her side and two vampires standing over her. Before anyone could move, the Major was out and snarling, ready to tear the head off of anyone who dared to hurt his mate. He flashed to her side and pulled her up and away from the rest of them, holding her tightly to his chest.

"No one move or approach them" Alice warned. She had met the Major before and knew that right now, the family was considered a threat to Adeline in Major's eyes.

"Alice?" Carlisle asked entering the room. He had an idea of what was going on, but wanted to make sure.

"That's Major. Jasper's alter ego. He is very protective and will attack us if we attempt to approach or hurt Adeline" Alice explained in a rush.

While Alice talked quietly with the family explaining what she knew, Adeline managed to turn around so she was facing the Major. "Shhhh" she reached her hand up to cup his face and stroke his cheek, "I'm fine, everything is alright. Edward and Emmet simply knocked me over by accident. I'm in no danger here."

The Major glanced down at her then, "ya sure Darlin'?"

"Yes Mio Tesoro, I am fine and you know our family would not hurt me." He relaxed his hold a little at that, a silent acknowledgement of her point.

"He can't really be that dangerous" Edward scoffed moving closer. The Major brought his head up and snarled at him, Edward freezing in his tracks in fear.

"Major please calm down. You know he is no threat" Adeline soothed, and with a little more convincing, the Major retreated and Jasper once again took control.

"My apologies" he hung his head ashamed that he had threatened his family, "I don't always have the best control over him."

"It's alright Jasper" Carlisle stepped forward and put his hand on Jasper's shoulder, "now that we know about the Major, we will try our best to be accommodating."

Emmet, Rosalie, and Esme all nodded at this. Edward was still off to the side observing Jasper wearily, not saying anything. Since his transformation into a vampire, he had grown accustomed to being the biggest predator in the room. The feeling of once again being the prey unnerved him more than he would ever admit to anyone. Alice just smiled brightly and skipped over to the pair, hugging them both. She knew that Major would be accepted when they learned about him, they were a family after all!