Death of the Elementals

While no one is sure of where the first Elementals came from, most believing they must have been born from the elements themselves, they are now born as any human is. However, elemental births were rare. While an elemental may live for a thousand years, they may only have 2 or 3 children in all that time. This meant that while they were an immortal race, they were never a widespread one. 

Further issues arose as humanity grew and developed. Elementals, are creatures that live for their fated, what they called their soulmates. Much like every other supernatural race, they actively sought them out and were very devoted. One of the differences, however, between the Elementals and other races, was that their lives were tied to that of their mate. Should their mate be mortal, the elemental will begin aging with their mate, maintaining their durability and abilities, but now attached to the short lifespan of a human. 

This was not a problem in the beginning as they lived in small isolated communities. But over the centuries, humanity grew and spread allowing the two species to mix and intermingle, allowing many of the elementals to find their fated in their new neighbours. This meant that their already small population was decreasing further as elementals gave up their long lives in order to bond with their mates.

In addition to the humans, Elementals began to encounter other races of immortals. However, while they were a peaceful race that never sought out violence or to do harm to another, the other races were not always. They found the Werewolves and vampires to be less peaceful, often starting wars not only amongst each other, but also between various packs/covens within their own species. Many Elementals were caught in the crossfire of their battles and met their ends.

It was also around this time that another ability of the elementals was discovered; the ability to calm a vampire's bloodlust. Due to this ability, they quickly became coveted by vampires, as coven leaders sought to obtain one in order to benefit their coven. Many elements were taken prisoner and locked away where they slowly faded away until there was nothing left of them. Much like a flower locked away in the dark.

An elemental was the embodiment of nature itself and was never meant to be caged, just as a storm, fire, or breeze was never meant to be captured. Any attempt to restrain one for a long period of time often ended in the elemental choosing to return to the elements and leave behind the physical world.

Werewolves also posed a great threat to the Elementals. While the species held no real value to them, their continued war with the vampires meant that they were reluctant to allow them any advantage. As such, it became common practice for the wolves to either kill or capture any Elemental they came across so as to ensure that no vampire would be able to benefit from their presence.

By the time the Volturi took control of the vampire world, and recognizing the value of the elementals and the damage being done to them, declared them under their protection, the damage was done. While there was never a great number of Elementals in the world, the past centuries had been hard on their numbers. Now they only numbered about a dozen spread out across the entire world. 

The Volturi did what they could to protect them. Although most just wanted to be left in peace, only involving themselves with the world in order to find their fated before once again retreating. 

As time marched on, many vampires, who sought to challenge the Volturi and had never encountered an Elemental before, mistook them for threats. Believing that they were a secret weapon the three kings kept hidden. As such, the Elementals once again found themselves hunted and by the 1700's only two Elementals were left. Both of whom were mated, one, a man, to a human, and the other, a woman, to the Volturi guard assigned to her. In the next attack, the male elemental was killed along with his mate. Fearing for her mate's and her own life, the last Elemental fled to the New World with her mate after staging their deaths. It was thus that as far as the supernatural world was concerned, Elementals became extinct.

In reality, the last Elemental, Celine Kokkinos, and her mate, Roland Volturi, had happily found peace in what later became the United States of America, where years later they would be blessed with a little girl, Adeline. They lived together as a small family of three until the year 1851, when the vampires fighting for territory killed Roland taking his wife Celine with him and leaving their 7-year-old daughter to be raised by a close friend, Matthew, a human Pastor who lived a few towns over.