Chapter 185. Rewards For A Job Well Done

As we sat at the table, Emily began to explain how everything came to be. Looking at the paperwork that was placed in front of me as I listened to Emily's recounting of everything, I've begun to understand how everything happened. A month after Sarah, Anna and I left for Darkheim, a convoy of Dwarves from Kuga came to visit Paradise. The reason why they chose to visit was that someone from the group that Emily is from spoke about us after arriving at Kuga. This was good for us; Kuga is a country fool of craftsmen after all. They make the best products whether from household items, food and even weapons and armor. Any foreigner carrying goods from Kuga were able to make a great profit. However, this causes scams to happen from time to time as well. During the time that they were here, Emily was able to forge a trade deal with them. It seems that they specifically like cheese. The Dwarf palate seemed to especially like salty flavors. With that, Emily did something special. Something I don't even think I'd be able to pull off. She had them put in writing that artisan specialists in different fields of trades from Kuga would take 3 Demons from Paradise as apprentices. In return, they'd receive a discount on bulk cheese trading. In the short term, it means we could start earning some money for our treasury, in the long term it'll allow our craftsmen to reach the next level. Honestly, I'm shocked they allowed this. I mean, how important is cheese to these Dwarves? The idea that they'll teach their trade secrets to my people is almost too good to believe.

" After we welcomed them, they asked to speak to you first, Matthew."

" And since I wasn't here, you took over and even worked out a deal like this... Honestly, Emily... I can't begin to express how impressed I am. You managed to make great gains in only 2 weeks. Who is the person who agreed to this, Emily?"

" Her name is Tory Vax. She's introduced herself as the president of their foreign commerce guild. She's the person who decides what is traded and with who in foreign countries."

" How was she identified?"

" By her guild card. I've seen many of them during my time working with my father. Either this woman has the finest fake identification card of the Kuga Foreign Trade Guild I've ever seen, or it's legitimately her. The 5 people who came along with the convoy to prove they were from Kuga vouched for Tory. That and the way she speaks and works, it reminds me of my mother."

" The same Mother who was the President of the Atheis Merchant Association?"

Emily nodded to my question.

" Okay, that's good enough for me. I'll join you for any further meetings you'll be having with the people from Kuga, but you'll take the lead in all negotiations."

Emily nodded her head with a smile forming on her lips.

" You're just going to leave negotiations with a foreign country to your... Secretary?"

Delcan seemed puzzled by my decision. I wonder if I could a bit more of an understanding of the way our business partners will be working from this opportunity.

" Delcan, how do you usually choose official positions in Darkheim?"

Delcan was surprised by my question. I waited for him to answer me regardless.

" Well, we choose from the Nobles with the needed education and mana requirements."

I nodded to his answer.

" As for me, I've chosen the people to work for me based on 2 main factors when it comes to my business. Practical experience and optionally if they have a Job that helps with the position. Though, in the case for my staff of Maids and Butlers, I allowed Sarah and Anna to take care of that. So far, in terms of important positions in my business, there are 3 people I've hired. Janet's Husband, Jim as he's the best chef around and knows how to make many dishes and the aspect of working with this new type of food intrigued him. Then I hired Emily as she was the most fitting to be my secretary. Finally, I hired Ruby as a bodyguard for Anna for those 2 factors above... Well, there was also a 3rd reason as well."