Chapter 221. Small Talk During Traffic.

" Is it always this slow? Have we even moved?"

Ellie's patience had seemed to dry up as she learned the most important thing about being stuck in traffic. It always sucks.

" Well, what do you expect, Ellie? I mean look at the line over there at the northern gate. It's just as long! They must need to find out everyone's identity before sending them in, customs always takes so long after all!"

Wendy seems to be speaking from her time being a citizen of the biggest commercial trading hub in Promethia.

" It's always like this? Thank god we made it to Paradise when we did."

" Hehe..."

I started to chuckle at her.

" What, Matthew? I mean, when we emigrated there was a line, but a member of the Iceskin family just opened a folder and stamped it."

"Yeah, well the way that customs work is different now. technically... No, broadly speaking, Van was really bad at his Job. He's doing a lot better as a construction worker now."

" Wait, if he's gone, who's doing customs work now?"

" Wendy's Grandmother, Helena. She's doing it now."

" What a war that was."

Sarah, Anna and I all start to rub our temples as we thought back to that argument.

" What!? What happened?"

Ellie's curiosity let her disregard the faces of my wives, Wendy and myself. I looked out the window to my right and saw that even Princess Alice was curious about our reaction. I guess I should just fill them in.

" Well, you see... As thanks for helping Wendy... And then the rest of the people from Atheis, she insisted on being given a job in Paradise. No matter how much I argued that she should just relax and enjoy her golden years, she argued and argued about debts and how the view of Humans can only change if everyone works together... I gave up and gave her a job as a Customs Officer. From everything I've heard, it seems she's won the hearts of basically everyone in the office."

" How did she do that?"

" Oh, I asked Jim to teach her how to make a certain pie crust and then she started to bring a pie as a treat for her co-work-"

" No, not that, I mean win an argument against you, Matthew."

" Fufufu... How did she do that, Darling?"

" Yes, I still wonder that myself, My Love."

Anna and Sarah laughed at Ellie's question. I at first played it off as a joke as well, but after looking at Ellie, it looks like she really wanted an answer. I waited for the laughter to die down and then I gave her the answer she wanted.

" Well, Ellie, it came down to 3 things. The 1st is that I thought she was right about how she needed to pull her weight. Old Demons still do manual labor. It's strange to me but common because of how much stronger the bodies of Demons are. The older Humans couldn't just sit back and let the younger ones work. This would breed resentment for the older Humans from not just the Demons in Paradise but also from the younger Humans. So, I thought it was best to give them safer jobs that required them to use their heads and not exert themselves too much. Add onto that, there were a few Demons that were suited to clerical work but hadn't learned the ins and outs of the job and someone from Atheis is a perfect fit. So, Helena has 3 apprentices who can do any heavy lifting required of the job and I could safely let her work there.

Ellie nodded to the explanation. And weirdly enough, Princess Alice seemed to grow even more interested in me. I guess since the carriage hadn't moved much, she might as well listen to the conversation. But still, she's staring a hole through me.