Chapter 210. Ruby's Reward 2

Ruby Flameskin's Point Of View

OH MY GODS!!!!! I was so rude yesterday! I was so worried when I exploded at the table yesterday... But thankfully, Sarah and Anna agreed with me and didn't stop me from demanding my reward from Matthew. I mean... I just couldn't take it anymore! Usually at dinnertime, Emily and I join Matthew, Sarah and Anna for their meal since we all train together during the afternoon. I've watched how everyone has eaten their meals. And he was just so... Slow and tired... I couldn't take it anymore! So many thoughts ran through my head and the last one was a simple question to myself. Once I asked myself that question, I knew I couldn't just keep watching. I scared him, but I had the support of everyone at the table. I spent the night after dinner trying to find something to wear. While I was digging through my closet looking for something that could catch his eye but still seem relaxing to his eye. Flare eventually entered my room and helped coordinate my outfit. I went to sleep feeling anxious. Since I couldn't sleep well, and my mind was racing with different outcomes for the day, I decided to make our lunch. I looked in my fridge and saw that I still had some wild game from our last hunt and some decent enough fruits and vegetables from the farms that Matthew developed.

" Flare! It's 10am! You have to go and get him!"

" What!?"

Flare called to me and reminded me of the time! I can't believe I lost track of time! I quickly threw everything as neatly as I could in a basket that Flare had brought for me, and I ran quickly to Matthew's house. I made it there with a few minutes to spare, I knocked on the door after catching my breath. I saw him exit his home and I saw it, for a moment, I had his full attention and he liked what he saw! This is great! I need to thank Flare when I go home. After a little bit of small talk, I asked Matthew to follow me to our destination. Walking down the street, Matthew looked around at our surroundings and he began to tell me about how he felt about all of the changes he's been able to make. It made me somewhat sad that he doesn't realize just how big of an impact he's made for everyone. I spoke about how I felt about it. He seemed to not know how to take my praise, I saw him lost in his thoughts while he looked at me. I couldn't help but stare at him for a moment, he turned to look at me and I panicked and looked away. There were kids playing in a lot filled with dirt currently. If I recall correctly, Matthew plans on making a few places like this one into a place called a " playground". Apparently, it'll be a place for children to play instead of playing in the backstreets and having a higher risk of injury. He's always doing that though, looking for a way to better the people's lives. Always working, it reminded why I wanted him to take a break today in the first place. After a moment, we began to walk to the picnic spot I've had on my mind for a while. Matthew followed me. Eventually, we arrived.

" This is it, Matthew."

We arrived finally at the spot. It was on a hill outside of town. Flare and I found it one day when we were hunting when we were kids, the reason why it's not as well-known is because the way to get up on this hill without climbing the cliff is to find a hidden path that is surrounded in the bush.

" Wow, what a view!"

Matthew looked at Paradise from where we were, thanks to the height of the hill we could overlook the entirety of the town. Looking at the town now compared to when Flare and I first looked at this view, what at first looked like a ghost town that seemed like it would be taken by the swamp that surrounded it, is now a thriving bustling city that's home to a bunch of people who you can see walking up and down the main road of the town as well as its side streets. Sure, some of the walls and the roads still look " old", but Matthew's renovations are beginning to shine through. That goes without even speaking of the most striking change, the area around Paradise had changed drastically. Sure, the western lands are still a swamp, but from what I understand, Matthew asked specifically for that area to stay as a swamp for the wildlife that used to surround the area of Paradise. But besides that, roaming hills full of multicolored flowers, grasslands full of our Ashura Cattle grazing on them. Last but not least, the farmlands that Matthew has made. The town and the area that surrounds it are night and day compared to what it was. It's just... So full of life now. The shocking change seems to be a little lost on Matthew. He seems to understand that he's changed this place... Changed us, but he doesn't seem to get just how much that change was for the better.

" So, what do we do now, Ruby?"

He looked at me and wondered what was next, but I knew what was next! It was time for me to appeal to him with my womanly charms! First, my picnic blanket! I reached for the blanket I placed inside the basket and placed it on the ground. I then turned to him and called for him.

" Here, Matthew! Sit here. I have some food for lunch."

" Oh, thank you. I didn't even realize it was noon."

I sat on the blanket first after removing my shoes and Matthew followed my example. Once we had sat down, I opened the basket to show that there were 2 sandwiches and a large bottle that had enough water for us to drink while we ate.

" Wow, this is pretty good. I haven't had a regular sandwich in a while."

" Oh, I'm glad you liked it, I made it this morning."

" Thank you, Ruby."

He likes my food! Thank goodness! I was worried since I've never seen him eat anything besides what Jim or Anna made him. So, this is what it feels like to feed someone you like something that you made by hand? I see why Anna seemed sad when Jim became the head chef.

" Hmph!"

" Huh?"

While I was lost in thought, Matthew began to choke on a piece of the sandwich he was eating. I quickly grabbed the bottle and handed it to Matthew.

" Guag!"

He took big gulps of the water in order to force down the piece of food that was stuck.

" Woah, that was a big piece. Look it came from here, I guess I didn't bite through the piece well enough."

" Ah!"

" What, Ruby?"

I forgot, Matthew is a Human, he's not as strong as us Demons. The cut of meat is easy for us Demons, but he's been struggling to chew the meat this whole time, hasn't he!?

" Hm? What's the matter Ruby?"

He noticed that I was staring at him...

" You've been having a problem eating the sandwich, haven't you?"

" Huh! Ah... Yes, a little. But you went to the trouble of making it for me, plus it tastes good. I just need to chew it a bit more than usual is all."

It's because he's like this that he ends up attracting so many of us. I take a bite of my sandwich as I think about what I should say to him, only for a twist of fate to happen.

" Huak!"

I started joking on my sandwich now! I motion for Matthew to hand me the bottle and he notices.

" Oh! You to! Here!"

He hands me the bottle quickly; I begin to chug the water quite similarly to him. 

" Ah!"

" Seems it's not just me who had an issue with the food. Maybe I should ask Jim about cutting meat to an appropriate size now that I think about it. I mean, even when Anna cooked my food herself, I don't remember choking on anything. Oh! Sorry, I guess I shouldn't mention other people's cooking since you went to the trouble making me this. For what it's worth, I do think it tastes good, Ruby.... Ruby?"

While Matthew spoke, I came to a realization, the water bottle... We shared the water bottle.... All of a sudden, I couldn't hear him anymore and I felt my face growing hotter and hotter... I mean, this is that indirect kiss that Flare always talked about! Oh, no! He noticed something was wrong.

" Are you okay, Ruby? did some of the spice get stuck in your throat? Here, drink more of the water!"

He helped raise the bottle to my lips! Even though I know he doesn't mean it that way, I can't help but think that we're kissing!

" I'm alright! I'm alright! It's just the sun!"

" Oh, it is beaming down a bit, hang on, I'll do something about it."

And with his words, a tree grew from the ground behind us.

" How, this hill is so barren?"

" Just the other day Lily told me that I could now use her abilities somewhat. Sure, it's a bit more mana than if I have Lily do it, but I'd hate to disturb her, Paula is visiting her today after all."

Matthew smiled happily as he looked at the tree growing from the ground, before long, the branches covered the sun, and a cool shade filled the space we were sitting in.