Chapter 207. Hand-To-Hand Training

After the meeting was over, Ms. Vox and her entourage left without much fanfare. Emily was able to work out a decent deal. Basically, there would be a 60/40 split for profits with us having the lion's share. The Dwarves seemed to be happy to with the arrangement and wondered if there were any other ideas I had for products like the cheeses they tried. I told them yes, but not at any real stage in development yet besides the thinking stage. That inspired thoughts in their minds, but it led to nothing for now. I mean, Jim is already doing so much, I don't want to add anything more for fear of what Janet would do.

" So, what should we do now, My Love?"

Sarah seemed to want to say something. I could guess what she wanted, even more so with Anna staring at me as well.

" As long as Ruby is fine with it, I don't mind doing some training."

With Emily and Ruby also staring at me, I think I can guess how Ruby's answer will go.

" By all means!"

With that, Sarah and Anna followed me to our room to change into better clothes for moving around. Emily and Ruby did the same with a spare room we cleaned out to have a few changes of clothes for them and other staff. Of course, male and female servants had different rooms. Once we were finished changing, we all met back up on the training grounds. After warming up first, we assumed the line up and waited for Ruby to begin speaking.

" Okay! Let's start with our kata first!"

With Ruby's command, we started up our kata. From punches, parries and kicks we worked through what Ruby taught us up to this point.

" Emily, your strikes are too slow, put more force into your swings, Matthew! Your strikes lack focus! Picture an enemy that needs to be defeated! Sarah! Don't put your all into every swing! It'll leave you open for a counter! Anna! There is no second strike! This is the last shot! Don't hold yourself back that much!"

We all took in Ruby's advice, and we continued our kata with Ruby's words in mind. We finished and we all felt fully warmed up. Sarah, Anna, Emily and I faced Ruby and waited for her to issue the next lesson.

" Okay! Time for some sparring!"

Ruby started to make the preparations for our sparring matches. This included using a stick to make a big circle to use as a ring for the opponents. With that, Ruby pointed to me and then to Sarah. Oh boy... Sarah smiled at me. I smiled back. This will probably hurt. We get into position and wait for Ruby's signal.

" Okay! Begin!"

With Ruby's signal, the fight begins. Sarah charges at me like a bull. I sidestep her attack. Sarah smiled again.

" Good! Let's see how long you last this time!"

A palm strike is aimed at my jaw. I shift my shoulder and hide my chin behind it and jump back to avoid the brunt of the damage.

/Thump!/

The strike lands on my shoulder and it sends me flying. It's during moments like this that I remember Sarah and Anna aren't Humans. I land just on the rim of the perimeter that Ruby made. Speaking of which, Ruby begins to speak to me as I reestablish my balance.

" Matthew! Don't be scared to counter Sarah's attack!"

" Understood!"

Ruby offered some advice and I head back to Sarah who happily waited for me. All of my fellow students seemed to be more ecstatic when they were sparring with me. I assume it's because I'm fun to spar with.

" Here! This time you attack me, Matthew!"

Sarah spoke with enthusiasm as I retake my stance. I decided to humor her and head towards her. The trick to Demon Martial Arts is to picture completely destroying the target. Admittedly that's hard to do with my wife, but this is just sparring... And my shoulder is still hurting. I pullback to punch and Sarah attempts to block my punch. I'm glad she didn't notice it was a faint. I pull my arm back and with that motion I begin to throw a roundhouse kick at Sarah's stomach.