Chapter 213. Emily's Reward 1

Emily Metis's Point Of View

As I led him across the town to our destination, I enjoyed glancing at Lord Matthew's cheeks that have been dyed red from a mixture of embarrassment and befuddlement. Sarah mentioned that he was a lot cuter if you could use a surprise to gain the upper hand and speak to him while he was on the back foot. I didn't think it would work this well. This afternoon may have started a little later than I wanted it to, but now I have Matthew all to myself. Since Ruby and I were of the same mind, I've planned this date to be relaxing for Matthew and to start that, we need to travel a ways away from my home. The main reason I wanted to do this is to make my lunch that I currently have in a basket on my arm, cause him to truly become sleepy and rest well until dinner time.

" So where are we going, Emily?"

" It's a surprise! I'll give you a hint if you'd like, Matthew?"

" You sure are... Bubbly all of a sudden."

Matthew seemed a bit puzzled by my demeanor, but I can't help it.

" Well, this is the first time, I've ever received a personal day off. Usually, we'd work even on the weekend."

" Ah... Sorry about that... I do think after we finish up around this time next year, we'll be able to take breaks."

Oh no, I made him feel awkward... I didn't mean to do that, I meant it only to tease him! Now I made it awkward...

" That is something I hope to work on moving forward. Right now, we just lack personnel I can trust with work. I know it puts a strain on you, Emily. But I need you to know, all of this is definitely not possible without your help. I don't think I can really explain it in words how much I appreciate and need you as my work colleague."

He... He needs me!

" Emily?"

I lowered my head so he couldn't see my smile. I'm afraid I'd need to explain too much if he were to see what I look like right now.

" Here... We need to go this way..."

In as calm a tone of voice as I could, I directed him the way to go as I squeezed his arm a little tighter. The way I realized I was doing this was because my chest began to feel a bit tighter. It was only after looking down did I realize how hard I was gripping him. I looked up to see Matthew's face a shade of red I've never seen before. When I saw his face, my mind was torn between 2 feelings. One was the feeling of embarrassment, and the other... Was a strange itch in my chest... I wanted to keep feeling it as I held him tighter...

" Ah, Lord Matthew!"

My clashing desires grinded to a halt as we both heard a voice calling out to Matthew.

" Tom? I thought this road looked familiar!"

Our embrace was interrupted by Tom. One of the gatekeepers for the ranch that the Ashura Cattle stay in.

" How are you finding the shifts? I know Larz enjoys the alternating day shifts, but what about you?"

" Can't say I have much to complain about, the cattle can understand our language so there's no real issues after we explain the reason why they shouldn't do something in particular."

" Ah that's great."

Matthew tried to speak to Tom more and more, he used this moment to separate from me, but he thinks too little of me to not expect him to try something like this. As much as I found the panic in his body language and eyes adorable, I wasn't about to lose my hard-earned reward just because he's trying not to fall for us. My Parents didn't raise such an easily swayed businesswoman and I'll be damned if I'd let my reward slip through my fingers. Today is the day I plant a seed of attraction and love in a space in his heart with my name on it! I waited for a lull in the conversation and then entered it with a simple question.