Chapter 220. A Book Review In Traffic

" Wendy! Look! It's like Paradise, before Lord Matthew started the renovations!"

" Yeah, you can still see the same kind of walls in the places he hasn't gotten to yet."

" Stick your heads back in the windows before you get hit by the trees, you two!"

Flare scolded Ellie and Wendy for sticking their heads out of the windows on such a narrow road. There was barely enough room for their small heads to fit since the road we were on was surrounded by wildly grown trees. Shouldn't there be an agricultural department that's in charge of maintaining the local wildlife? That's what the farming group does for Paradise during the period of time it takes for new produce to grow. We've been able to use the clippings from various trees and plants to start developing things like perfumes, shampoo and skin creams that have had some success but they're still in the developmental phase.

" Why would they allow it to become like this? Wouldn't you think they'd work on something like this since it's such a big gathering?"

" Maybe it's only the road to Paradise. That might explain it."

Sarah and Anna began to jump to a dangerous conclusion.

" Maybe they were just busy. Give them some benefit of the doubt.  Besides, you're scaring Ellie and Wendy with the bloodlust you're leaking, Sarah, Anna."

Sarah and Anna listened to my words. The bloodlust receded as we made it out of the claustrophobic path and could now see the decently maintained road that led to Zana.

" Great..."

As I looked out of my window, I couldn't help but mutter an ironic thought. Zana, the decently sized town that seemed to have a population of around 8000 was currently experiencing an intense amount of traffic on its 4 main roads that enter or exit the city. It seems that like car lanes back in my world all of the incoming traffic was on the right side and the outgoing traffic was on the currently empty left lanes. I gazed at the quite ancient gray walls that seemed to have been maintained quite well in comparison to Paradise's walls.

" Well, we didn't have a dedicated department for upkeep!"

Flare saw my eyes wondering at the walls and seemed to feel a bit defensive about the obvious comparison that came to my mind.

" Well, eventually, they'll look better than this. I'll make our walls rival or surpass Blackstone when I'm done with them. You have my word on that Flare."

I gave a grin to Flare as I spoke, I heard an exhale from the entire guardsmen that were around my carriage. I guess they still feel a sense of rivalry with the towns that surround us. I guess there's a bit of an inferiority complex since Zana is one of the towns that gave aid to Paradise for all these years. Granted, now their grains just sit in a storage shed since the food has now become quite plentiful. Last I checked our granaries and freezers are full enough now that we'd be well stocked for about 5 years if anything happened, and our food production was compromised. I've currently ordered the creation of more granaries and freezers since I figured it'd be best to strike while the iron is hot. I don't know why, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to prepare for something. I feel like a doomsday prepper back in my world. When I asked Sarah and Anna about this before we left for Zana, they seemed to share similar thoughts to me.

" Well, to be honest, My Love. We're still in a war against Promethia, even if it has come to a grinding halt due to my Father's wish to not become an aggressor, but with the Elves now sending out spies and the fact that we still aren't sure about why Peter poisoned me, I think it's best to have our people be as prepared as possible in case of anything going wrong."