Chapter 230. A Feeling During A Speech

A frail pale man walked forward on the stage, past Lord Byron and his sister, Lady Cindy. They introduced him as their father. The man after locking eyes with me, began to speak to the crowd of Demons that had all of their attention on him. The man began to speak softly into a magical device that acted like a microphone in my world.

" Thank you all for accepting my invitation and joining us tonight for my birthday. I'm sure many people who have attended my family's previous birthday celebrations are wondering about the new faces you see tonight. And that wondering also extends to the new faces that wonder why I've invited you to this party and celebration, considering I've never reached out to you before. To answer that question is simple. These last 2 years have been a trying time for my family and I, I've never felt the fragility of life in all my 170 sum years before then. But I've realized a few things. Life is full of connections that form and connections that break. Some never even connect in the first place. Tonight, I'd like to start the rest of my life, reconnecting to friends and connecting with new ones. I hope you can all join me in that goal. Of course, there'll be drinks and food to help us along the journey. Let's enjoy ourselves everyone. Seeing 25 years pass is a blessing that's worth celebrating." 

Lord Fracks gave a speech after he had the magical device in his hands. He raised a glass of some kind of alcohol and the rest of the party joined him in drinking. Even though the speech was nice to hear... Something still didn't feel right. The man's eyes... It just gave me the feeling that he didn't believe a word of it. They glowed such a strange red... Like blood. The only time they seemed to come alive was when he mentioned something about "reconnecting". Maybe he also wants to speak to Count Sark as well? But again, those eyes... Why do they bother me so much? It's like my gut is trying to tell me something... But I can't figure it out? Maybe It's because he's a widower? I mean, Princess Alice also has a shade of red that reminiscent of blood. Maybe I'm just overreacting?

" What's the matter, Marquess Matthew? Is there something on my face?"

" Huh? Oh! Sorry. I was thinking about something, and I thought about your eyes in connection to it. I guess I started staring at them because of it."

" !!!"

Why did she turn away from me so quickly?

" Ow!"

A jab to the left side of my rib cage had me turn to look at Sarah who began to glare at me.

" You have quite the courage to flirt with my friend in front of me in a public venue no less. Am I going to need to punish you when we return tonight, My Love?"

A tight grip locked my right hand in its embrace.

" Darling, while I don't have much room to speak seeing as I am your 2nd wife, flirting with another woman in front of us... Is something I would prefer you not do. Especially when we're not in our territory."

Sarah and Anna seemed to think I was flirting.

" I'm not flirting with her. I was thinking about the color of her eyes."

" Do tell why you'd be thinking of another woman's eyes in our presence?"

" Lord Fracks. Something doesn't seem right with him to me. His eyes. Something about them seems... Wrong to me. I don't know why, but my gut says something is off. I think we need to be more careful than we thought."

To my words, everyone at the table seemed to switch gears. Ellie and Wendy seemed scared almost, while Sarah, Anna and Princess Alice took on more serious expressions. Needless to say, our guards were also watching our surroundings like hawks. It only makes sense seeing as the other guards for the other Noble Families were doing the same thing.