Chapter 214. Emily's Reward 2. Two's Too Many

" Moo!"

" Hey, I get it, you can stop licking me, I'll pet you!"

" Moo!"

" I know, I know. I'll pet you too, just let me get up first!"

Our picnic was interrupted by the brown and white calves that have wished to play with Matthew every time we visit the ranch.

" Moo!"

" Relax! I'm not going anywhere!"

While being interrupted wasn't something I was planning on, seeing Matthew smile as he pets both calves is nice. I've noticed while joining him on his visits to the ranch that he's always smiling as he pets the calves. He seems to really enjoy the presence of animals. Maybe I should see about getting him some cats or dogs with Sarah and Anna... Though, now that I think about it, he's probably far too busy to care for any pets currently. This entire date and Ruby's were planned around the idea that he needed to take a break.

" Sorry, Emily, I'll try to make this as quick as possible so we can get back to the picnic."

" Take your time, Matthew. Today is about you relaxing after all..."

I'm not bothered by this at all! I mean... Sure, this day was supposed to be where I get to have him all to myself for the day... But I'm a mature woman who definitely would not get upset about some calves wanting to be pet by Matthew. Definitely!

" Uhm... Emily, are you okay?'

" Huh?"

" Well, you're frowning."

" What?"

I place my hands on my lips, and I felt that I was frowning. But... My poker face has always been impeccable!?

" Moo!"

The calf mooed at me! Wait! I know those eyes! She's trying to show off! Is this what Sarah and Anna always saw! And he doesn't even notice it!

" What's the matter?"

" Moo!"

" Hm?"

Now he's trying to talk to them, but... He is smiling.

" Matthew... Why not summon Rex so you can actually speak with them?"

" Oh! Yeah, I guess I can. Let me see if he's okay with showing up."

Matthew closed his eyes as the calves nuzzled their heads under his hands. In time, a flash of gray light appeared next to Matthew not too long after closing his eyes and Rex had appeared out of the light.

" Hey Boss! Hi Emily! Hi Molly, Hi Meera."

  Rex greeted us all.

" Wait, these calves have names?"

" Huh? Yeah, of course they do. Everybody has a name, I think. Molly is the white calf and Meera is the brown calf. So, what is it you girls are trying to say to Matthew?"

" Moo."

" Mooo!"

" Uh Huh! Well, let's see, the boss is usually busy so who's to say? Granted I think this is a day off for him, so he should be able to."

Rex spoke to the calves as he seemed to be intently listening. Even going as far to cover his sharp fangs with his lips and digging his claws into the dirt so the calves' natural instincts when seeing a wolf wouldn't start activating in the two little calves.

" So, Rex. What do they want?"

Rex shifts snout from the calves to Matthew and begins to speak happily.