| Prologue |

RUN AWAY
by Ekana Akimse

——————————
PROLOGUE
——————————

The two fell over as the girl pushed herself towards him, making them both fall on the grassy land. You sniffled at the scene, the words of the characters getting heavier and more dramatic at each second. You couldn't hold your tears back anymore when the girl started crying, and the background music rolled in as the boy hugged her.

Despite having headphones on, the louder sound of gaming and effects penetrated your ears, ruining the moment that was build up by the romance anime you were watching. Annoyed, you pressed the space bar of your laptop, pausing the episode before you turned to the other side of the room.

"Hey! Lower down your volume!" You yelled, throwing your Totoro plushie towards his direction, and successfully hitting the back of your cousin's head.

The stuffed toy fell on the floor as the blonde-haired male looked back at you for a second, then back to his game. He didn't say anything, but the volume went down and that was enough for you to leave him alone.

That's the usual routine of your life. Ever since you transferred schools and moved to the city, you've been only staying inside your shared bedroom, and spent the day watching anime or reading manga and only pausing to eat, bathe, or sleep. Going to school was not on the list, and your sleeping schedule was unhealthy and inconsistent, as you only slept whenever you really felt sleepy on any time of the day.

You moved in with the Kozumes a little over a month ago, just a couple of weeks after the school year began, but the month was enough to be accustomed to your new life, and recognize the daily events in the household such as that your cousin only comes home in the evening after club practices, and he'd start playing games as soon as he gets home. You two didn't grow up together, so you don't know much about him and you rarely even talk despite sharing one bedroom. You'd see him during family gatherings before, but didn't talk to him since he didn't seem like he wanted to talk. He was obviously shy and reserved, and his quiet personality made him awkward to talk to. Now that you lived with his family, you played games with him from time to time, but you were more invested in watching anime and your digital arts.

Kenma then stood up, and you watched him as he grabbed something from the upper bunk bed, before turning towards the door. He stopped to toss your plushie back to your bed, and just before he left the room, he paused and glanced back at you. "Oh, I'll be having visitors so it might be a little noisy."

Your room wasn't that big, and his bed was replaced with a double-decker when you moved in. There's a computer set at one corner, a TV complete with his gaming consoles, and a shelf of his games along with a music speaker. Almost everything in the room belonged to your cousin, and the only possession you had in the room was your clothes and everything on your bed.

Shrugging, you turned back to your laptop, pressing the space bar for the episode to resume. You yawned, starting to feel a little sleepy.

---

Kenma went downstairs holding his phone as he read the texts of his teammates. At the same time, the doorbell rang and he lazily went to open the door, greeting his unwanted guests.

It was one of his club's "hangout meeting", as thought of by their captain. It was usually held at the captain's place which was the house next door, but his father suddenly had visitors from work and so they moved to Kenma's house instead, much to the latter's annoyance.

"It's been so long since we've last been here!" Yamamoto, a tall boy with a noticeably blonde mohawk hairstyle, exclaimed as he looked around with an excited grin, noticing the quiet and empty place. "Your parents aren't home?"