Chapter 43 | Through Thick and Thin

——————————
CHAPTER 43
Through Thick and Thin

——————————

You sat down quietly at the engawa by the back of the japanese-style house, looking at the snow that piled on the ground while everyone else were in the kitchen setting up stuff. A look of confusion was evident on your face, and a sigh escaped your lips as you heard them quietly chattering.

"What are you doing here? Your dad's calling you, everything's ready." Kuroo's voice appeared from behind, followed by him sitting down just beside you as he held your hand, giving you a warm smile.

"You're getting along well with them..." You muttered, another sigh following after. "I should be happy but... I don't know."

Kuroo chuckled in response, squeezing your hand gently as he turned his gaze to the pile of snow you were looking at as well. "Your dad's still not too happy with me, but I'm trying to show him I have nothing but good intentions with you."

"Why?"

"Hmm?"

"I mean... Nothing." You groaned, shaking your head frustratedly. "I just don't know how to accept and deal with this situation."

Sighing, you leaned against Kuroo's shoulder. "I just want things to be peaceful. I don't want to stress about anything anymore."

"(Y/N)." Your boyfriend turned to you with an encouraging smile. "I just know that what your father want is the same thing. A peaceful and happy family. Now it's up to you what you want to do about that, just remember I'll always support you, okay?"

You smiled, glancing at him from the corner of your eyes. "Even if I decide to rebel?" You asked jokingly.

"Maybe I won't support bad decisions." He chuckled.

Laughing lightly, you straightened yourself and took a deep breath, smiling as you exhaled. Standing up, you pulled him along and turned to the direction of the kitchen. You turned to him for a moment while still holding his hand. "I guess I'll try... accepting this situation and family, that is."

He nodded and grinned in an encouraging manner. "Let's go in. They're waiting."

Rina welcomed you back cheerfully, although there's a hint of nervousness on her face. She was sitting between your father and Kurt, while you and Kuroo sat across them. Looking down, a variety of food was present on the dining table, including some of your favorites and desserts.

When silence followed right after you sat down, you cleared your throat, then forcing out a smile. "Thank you for having us over."

Your father and Rina looked at each other in surprise for a short moment, and a smile broke through their faces before they turned to you.

"It's our pleasure, (Y/N)-chan."

"I'm also glad you decided to come. Shall we eat?"

"Oh, uh, y-yeah... Thank you for the food."

It was awkwardly quiet again as you all began eating, as if everyone was afraid of starting a conversation. You looked at their expressions as they ate, and it was obvious that they felt pressured somehow.

Your dad cleared his throat, finally deciding to break the awkwardness through small talk. "So, (Y/N)... I heard you live alone now. How's your place? Is it good and safe?"

You nodded. "There's nothing to worry about it. My workplace is good too."

"It makes me happy to know that. Just be safe always."