Chapter 37 | I Can't Think of a Title, But I Guess "New Year" Will Do

——————————
CHAPTER 37
I Can't Think of A Title, But I Guess "New Year" Will Do

——————————

You tapped your index finger irritatedly on the counter you were leaning on as you glanced at the wall clock again, seeing it was already past 9 and the person who's supposed to change with you still hasn't arrived. You've been on shift since morning, so you were really tired and annoyed already. Your other co-worker already left, leaving you and a timid girl of the same age whose shift started a couple hours ago.

"U-Uhm... (L/N)-san... I-I think it's okay for you to leave... I-I can probably handle this place by myself until Yamamura-san arrives..." The girl uttered, flinching when your eyes darted towards her direction. She averted her gaze nervously and continued restocking the shelves.

Just as you were about to speak, the chime sounded as a sign of a person entering, and a frown instantly formed on your face when you saw the person you've been waiting for, waltzing in with an apologetic smile.

"I'm really sorry, (L/N)-san! There was an emergency, sorry! I'll make it up to you!" Her voice just sounded so grating and you wanted to release your irritation at her then and there, but you stopped yourself.

Yeah, right. You clicked your tongue in annoyance, frowning even more when you saw her boyfriend waving at her from outside, whom she waved back at.

The time was already 9:30, so you didn't bother interacting with her and just turned over what you had to before hurrying to get dressed in the staff room. You swore you heard her uttering how rude you were, but you decided to ignore that.

As soon as you checked your phone, it was filled with missed calls and messages from Kuroo mostly asking where you were, or if you were still coming. You sent him a quick explanation before hurrying out of the convenience store and towards the station. You looked like a mess, and even after a short trip to the station's comfort room, you still couldn't fix yourself to look more presentable. You tied your hair up in a neat ponytail, but your face looked so stressed and heavy bags were under your eyes.

Few people were in the train when you boarded so you were able to sit down to rest, the tiredness of your body making you feel sleepy that you desperately fought against. Kuroo didn't reply to your text, but it was marked as read so you wondered if he was angry. It would be reasonable if he was, but you hoped otherwise since you didn't really have much energy left.

Before long, you reached your stop, and standing up gave you a momentary black out that made you lose your balance as you walked out of the train. If it weren't for someone grabbing you by the arm, you would've fell down.

"Are you alright?" A somewhat familiar voice asked, helping you regain your balance as he held you on either side of your shoulders.

"Y-Yeah, thanks." Looking up, a look of surprise crossed both of your faces as soon as you recognized each other. "Oh, you're... Akaashi-san." You've met him a few times already, so you were able to remember who he was along with his owl-looking partner.

He nodded, giving you a small, gentle smile. "You don't look too good. Where are you heading? I can accompany you."

"(Y/N)!"

A stern yell surprised you, making you both turn to the source of the voice. Kuroo stood there with an obvious frown, his eyes darting from Akaashi's face, then to his hands that still held your shoulders. He didn't walk towards where you were, and simply remained there as he glared. It was unusual of him to act that way, and it made you nervous.