Older Appearances

OlderAppearances

Irish legend of the Dark man

I found that legend, as i am not Irish, i can't say anything regarding it, but it did remind me of Slenderman so i though i should include it.

♱But of all the fairies in all the lands of this world or the world of the Sidhe, none were more feared than an Fear Dorcha, or the Dark Man, he who lurks, he who stalks, the one from Outside, the Dark Druid of the Sidhe.

Not as much is told as might be known about this fairy, for even to whisper his name was to invite his attention, and by repute he was none too fond of people sharing his ways and habits, even to knocking on the moonlit doors of those who made glib gossip of him.

Tall he was and narrow of frame, clad always in black or dark material, with a face you'd never quite see for your eyes would slide away like a stumbling child on a frozen lake, and you'd be glad of it for such waters could swallow you whole!

German Woodcuts

There exists a woodcut regarding Der Großmann that is supposedly found within demonology/faerie section of the New York Library. According to the person's notes, captioned with the picture it says ,"Steigen sie nie in seinen Wald ein." Which roughly translates to "Never enter into its forest." "Its", most likely being Der Großmann. This goes along with the original myth regarding that Der Großmann was a fae from the Black Forest. The author of this piece is unknown, and it is estimated to be from 16-17th century Germany.

''My child, my Lars... he is gone. Taken, from his bed. The only thing that we found was a scrap of black clothing. It feels like cotton, but it is softer... thicker.

Lars came into my bedroom yesterday, screaming at the top of his lungs that "The angel is outside!" I asked him what he was talking about, and he told me some nonsense fairy story about Der Großmann. He said he went into the groves by our village and found one of my cows dead, hanging from a tree.

I thought nothing of it at first...But now, he is gone. We must find Lars, and my family must leave before we are killed. I am sorry, my son... I should have listened. May God forgive me.''

-old journal, dating around 1702 (Black Forest, Germany)

Part of a Romanian Fairytale

The tall man stood in a clearing, dressed as a nobleman, all in black. Shadows lay over him, dark as a cloudy midnight. He had many arms, all long and boneless as snakes, all sharp as swords, and they writhed like worms on nails. He did not speak but made his intentions known...

"there is no reward for goodness; there is no respite for faith; there is nothing but cold steel teeth and scourging fire for all of us. And it's coming for you now."

And the tall man slid from the fire and clenched Sorina in his burning embrace.

ᓚᘏᗢ-Now in my opinion all of these legends are fake. The only mentions i've found are in Slenderman forums. Now if anyone remembers any of these, perhaps from your childhood, or before He even "existed" please comment!