☣︎momo☣︎

☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎☣︎

ᓚᘏᗢ- i know this is not my usual research, but i remember when the momo challenge was taking over, we were terrified to even look at our phones. And because i am out of ideas i thought it wouldn't be such a bad idea to include her! 

{momo}

Momo (モモ) is an Internet urban legend originating in 2018. She appears to be a young woman with long black hair, huge bulging eyes, a huge mouth with a big smile, and she appears to only have bird legs.

She uses her disturbing appearance to tormen her victims and eventually drive them to suicide.

{The Challenge.}

The Momo Challenge was one of the dangerous "challenges" circulating on the internet that caught the public's attention in 2018. In the said "challenge" aimed at teenagers, a gruesome face appeared to netizens, sending them messages and then challenging them to carry out a series of commands amid threats to harm themselves or kill themselves. The messages were accompanied by scary and disturbing images.

It was reported that a 14-year-old had contact with Momo, which escalated in the boy screaming rapidly. When the mother of the boy entered the room, she found the chat-log with Momo. Momo sent the boy a photo of a drawing, and two graphical disturbing videos, which escalated in the boy having a seizure, making the mother bring the boy to the hospital.

A 5-year-old boy called the police because of Momo. The boy was watching a cartoon, and the video cut to a photograph of Momo, threatening the boy that she is going to kill him.

Another video showed Momo's face with a hypnotic spiral in the background. In the video, Momo told the viewer ("kids" as she referred to them as) to grab a sharp tool from either their dad's garage or to get a knife from their mom's kitchen. She then instructed the viewer to cut their wrists with the sharp tool, and to not stop until they see a lot of blood coming out. She then threatened the viewer that if they didn't do this, she would find them in their sleep.

{The truth behind the Momo Challenge.}

Commenting on the numerous suicide rumors related to the Momo Challenge, internet security experts and people who study modern myths said the phenomenon is likely a case of moral panic: a hoax fueled by unverified media doomsday reports. The challenge uses the media to spread and spread panic, perpetuating its perceived dangerousness and, of course, increasing its popularity.

Concerns about children's safety have prompted thousands of users to share the warnings, but the danger lies in repeating rumors without solid evidence. As of September 2018, most of the phone numbers associated with "Momo" were out of service, while several of the suicide cases linked to the Momo Challenge were never confirmed. Thus, the infamous Momo Challenge tends to be considered a rumor, a fake myth or, quite simply, fake news.

{Fear, Reckoning and Virality.}

Fear of Momo has been acute for years, but now she has a name and a face. You can learn a lot about Momo by tracing the ways her myth has been reformulated for the culture in which it's spreading. 

For years, in various online spaces, young people have been writing horror stories, often pseudonymously or in an iterative group process. Their tales are known colloquially as "Creepypasta," an iteration of the term "copypasta," shorthand for passages or blocks of text or chain-letter-type stories that are frequently copied and pasted in a given online community. The authors of these posts do so to scare each other, with the occasional bonus of going viral. (The Slender Man character, which inspired multiple games and a feature film, gained popularity through copypasta. Momo's virality no doubt owes to the 2014 stabbing of a young girl by two of her friends, who later said they were influenced by the Slender Man.)