Chapter 27: Going back; feeding you

Early in the morning, Lin Xuanshu came to visit and expressed his gratitude to Xu Xuancao for helping him eliminate evil. When he heard that she was leaving, he looked sad and said, “Are you leaving? The Guiyun Sect is far from Lin’an, and I don’t know when we will meet again.”

Xu Xuancao replied, “The green hills will not change, and the flowing water will always be there. If we are destined to meet again, we will.”

Lin Xuanshu then suggested, “Before you leave, can we all gather to celebrate our success in solving the big case? I will pay to rent a boat on West Lake and invite our colleagues from the yamen to drink with us.”

Xu Xuancao was only interested in drinking and agreed with a nod.

Before leaving, Lin Xuanshu reminded her to invite Doctor Bai, who was also a contributor to the case.

In the evening, Lin Xuanshu took Xu Xuancao and Bai Sijin onto the boat and pointed to the vast green lotus leaves, saying, “The lotus flowers in West Lake are so beautiful. People release paper lanterns at night. There are a few bedrooms on the boat. You two can spend the night here.”

The yamen officers greeted Xu Xuancao as she arrived, and Lao Liu insisted that she sit in the main seat at the dining table as a person of merit. Xu Xuancao didn’t mind and sat next to Bai Sijin casually.

Bai Sijin picked up some dishes for her and said, “Try the Longjing shrimp*, which is famous in West Lake.”

*Longjing shrimp
After eating a bite, Xu Xuancao said, “It doesn’t taste as good as what you make.”

Bai Sijin leaned in and said with a hoarse voice, “Then… go back and let me feed you properly.”

It was clearly a serious remark, but Xu Xuancao blushed inexplicably.

As the host, Lin Xuanshu naturally sat in the main seat. Lao Liu teased him to hurry up and find a wife, but Lin Xuanshu coughed and dryly laughed, “I already have a fiancée.”

The constables jeered, “Lin Daren, you hid her well. Hurry and call sister-in-law to come and eat with us.”

“I already called her,” Lin Xuanshu blushed and shouted behind the screen, “Ruan Niang.”

A young woman holding a pipa appeared, dressed in a red satin peony skirt, her face lightly powdered with a rosy glow. Her hair fell in delicate strands, and her slender figure was as graceful as a water lily.

The crowd was amazed by her beauty and exclaimed, “Lin Daren is hiding a beauty in his golden house!”

Only Xu Xuancao had a different expression.

Xu Xuancao’s eyebrows furrowed as she stared at the woman, her fingers rubbing against each other as if she wanted to summon the Tai Xu Sword.

Ruan Niang greeted everyone with a smile, her eyes scanning the guests. When she saw Bai Sijin, her eyes trembled slightly, revealing a fleeting hint of strangeness.

Lin Xuanshu smiled and said, “Ruan Niang is skilled at playing the pipa. Tonight, she will play a tune for everyone.”

The crowd applauded.

Ruan Niang played the pipa skillfully, producing a crisp and melodious sound like “big pearls and small pearls falling on a jade plate.”

Lin Xuanshu led Ruan Niang to Xu Xuancao and introduced them to each other, “This is my fiancée Ruan Niang, who came from Gu Su a few days ago.”

“This is Xu Xuancao, a disciple of the Guiyun Sect. She personally killed those two demons, amazing!”

“Guiyun Sect?” Ruan Niang looked closely at Xu Xuancao, then turned her gaze meaningfully to Bai Sijin beside her. “I seem to have heard of it. It’s a reputable and upright sect.”

“This is Bai Sijin, the white medical god.”

Ruan Niang smiled gently, “I have heard of Mr. Bai’s name in Gu Su. It’s an honor to meet you.”

Lin Xuanshu laughed, “Next month, Ruan Niang and I will be married. You must come and drink at the wedding.”

Xu Xuancao remained indifferent and unusually cold.

That night, Xu Xuancao drank a lot of wine but remained sober, and her eyes became brighter and brighter.

Most of the constables could not hold their liquor and fell asleep on the ground.

Ruan Niang helped Lin Xuanshu back to his room. After all, they were still unmarried, so Ruan Niang lived alone in a separate room.

After settling Lin Xuanshu, Ruan Niang went out and closed the door, standing alone by the veranda.

The wind was strong at night, and the boat swayed slightly. Ruan Niang stood by the gallery, gazing at the lake with a look of longing. She turned around to return to her own bedroom when a green figure appeared in front of her, blocking her way and asking coldly, “Why did you approach Lin Xuanshu?”

Ruan Niang looked closely and saw that it was Xu Xuancao in front of her. She smiled as if she didn’t care and said, “Miss Xu, what do you mean by that?”

Xu Xuancao pinched Ruan Niang’s chin with her slender fingers and leaned in close, scrutinizing her delicate face.

“I want to see what kind of demon you are,” Xu Xuancao said.

Ruan Niang’s expression changed slightly and she smiled, “A demon? Are you kidding me, Miss?”

Xu Xuancao let go and pushed her away suddenly, “So you’re just a red carp.”

Ruan Niang fell to the ground and looked up at Xu Xuancao, who exuded a deadly aura. She stumbled to her feet and asked, “What do you want to do?”

Xu Xuancao created a Tai Xu sword with her right hand, and a burst of golden light exploded. She said simply, “To eliminate demons.”

As the Tai Xu sword was swung at her, Ruan Niang exclaimed in surprise and jumped back like a fish, hiding behind a tall, white-clothed figure.

Trembling, Ruan Niang knelt down and grabbed the corner of the white garment, crying out, “Young Master Bai, save me!”