Chapter 39: I swear to the heavens.

YunYu stood still on the spot, recalling the fear he experienced hundreds of years ago when he was dominated. Chills ran up his spine.

He then remembered how far he had progressed in his cultivation since then, gathering his qi and focus, summoning the Guangyang Sword, pointing its blade directly at Bai Sijin.

“It’s you!” Yun Yu’s killing intent surged, swinging his sword to strike.

Seeing this, Xu Xuancao swiftly formed the Tai Xu Sword with her right hand, using it to defend against the attack of the Guangyang Sword.

The clash of the two divine swords created a dazzling display of sword light.

In an instant, the earth shook and the heavens trembled.

Yun Yu was pushed back by the impact, astounded as he exclaimed, “You dare draw your sword against your master? Do you not know that this man is a demon in disguise?”

Xu Xuancao was dazed by the sword energy, her mind buzzing, and wore a bewildered expression. “My husband is a mortal, not a demon. Master, you have mistaken him.”

Yun Yu carefully examined Bai Sijin once again, reconfirming his identity.

Bai Sijin calmly met his gaze, his handsome face serene and devoid of any signs of fear.

Yun Yu harbored a hint of doubt, but then spoke solemnly, “I will never make a mistake.”

Five hundred years ago, when he had yet to cultivate as an immortal, he was still a young herb gatherer. He once witnessed a white jade python shedding its skin and transforming into a man with a snow-white complexion and jade-like bones, with the discarded snake skin turning into a white robe.

It was truly a fleeting glimpse, but what left a deeper impression was the fear of demons.

Later, shortly after Yun Yu had just become an immortal, he encountered Bai Sijin again, who had already reached the realm of a demon sovereign. He nearly died at the hands of Wei Yuan, one of Bai Sijin’s subordinates. His entire family, along with the entire village population, were also devoured alive by a group of demons.

Since then, he swore to exterminate all demons in the world.

“Do not be deceived by this demon. He is Sujin, the demon sovereign,” Cloud Yu warned.

Hearing the name Sujin, Xu Xuancao struggled to connect the demonic Sujin with the benevolent physician Bai Dafu*. She smiled wryly and said, “That’s impossible. He is a great doctor in Lin’an Prefecture, having performed numerous good deeds and emanating the pure aura possessed only by a saint of ten generations.”

*This could mean a title of senior official in Imperial China

Yun Yu exclaimed sternly, “The demon can easily disguise his aura. We cannot overlook any possibility. Get out of my way!”

“I won’t allow anyone to harm him!” Xu Xuancao tightly grasped the Tai Xu Sword, emitting strands of golden light that enveloped Bai Sijin, “Even if you’re my master, I won’t allow it!”

Bai Sijin gazed at the determined girl in front of him, his eyes shimmering. “Xuancao…”

Yun Yu’s face turned pale as he stared intensely at Xu Xuancao. He could never have imagined that his carefully nurtured disciple would one day point her sword at him for the sake of an unknown man.

Seeing the deadlock, Xu Xuancao compromised, “Master, I will return to the sect with you and investigate the truth together, how about that?”

“If you want me to believe in him, bring him back to the sect. Otherwise, I will never let him go,” Yun Yu said, flicking his wide sleeves and leaping away.

Once her master had left, Xu Xuancao relaxed, but at the same time, more worries surged within her.

It was unimaginable that one day she would defy her master’s orders.

This was an act of helplessness. How could she stand by and watch her master kill her beloved husband without questioning the truth?

Bai Sijin reached out and held her shoulder from behind, softly comforting her, “It’s okay. Let’s return to the sect together.”

Xu Xuancao’s heart instantly melted, and she turned to embrace Bai Sijin, pressing her face against his chest. “I will protect you.”

A faint smile appeared on Bai Sijin’s lips as he lowered his head to kiss the top of her head. “Good.”

Upon returning to the sect, Xu Xuancao settled Bai Sijin in her own room and lifted the prohibition before heading to the Closed Moon Pavilion where her master resided.

Upon learning everything from Yun Yu, Yun Sheng expressed both anger and amusement, saying, “That little brat got married without telling us. She really doesn’t consider me important.”

Yun Yu furrowed his brow and said, “Her husband is the demon Sujin. I’m afraid she has been deceived by him.”

Yun Sheng asked with reproach, “How can you be sure that he is Sujin? He might just be an ordinary person who looks identical.”

Yun Yu’s expression changed slightly, and he immediately put on a serious face. “He is Sujin, no need for further explanation!”

“You’re not actually sure, right? Could it be that Xuancao countered you…” Yun Sheng’s expression showed understanding. “I guess you’re using the pretext of demon extermination to get rid of Xuancao’s husband.”

Yun Yu’s chest trembled, and he scolded loudly, “Nonsense!”

Just then, Xu Xuancao pushed open the door and entered the hall. After entering, she knelt down in front of the two elders. “Disciple has come to confess.”

Yun Sheng clenched his sleeves, wanting to give her a beating. “Why did you hide such a big matter from me?”

“I…” Xu Xuancao glanced at Yun Yu, “Disciple acknowledges the mistake and asks Master and Uncle to punish me.”

Yun Sheng couldn’t bear to hit her and pounded his own chest in anguish. “After traveling for only two months, when I come back, the cabbage I planted has been eaten by others. I… I will be driven to death by you.”

Xu Xuancao lowered her head like a quail. “I’m sorry…”

“This marriage is invalid!” Yun Yu coldly spoke up. “Your husband is the demon lord of the demon realm, and I will never allow you to be married to him.”

At the mention of Bai Sijin, Xu Xuancao straightened her posture, and her whole being became resolute. “Master, my husband is not a demon!”

Yun Yu said, “I am thinking for your own good. If he really is Sujin, he must have ulterior motives for approaching you.”

“I can vouch for my husband. He is just a well-behaved doctor.”

Yun Yu sneered, “How devoted you are. But what if he really is Sujin? What will you do then?”

Xu Xuancao raised her head high and pointed three fingers towards the sky, speaking with emphasis, “I swear to the heavens that if my husband is truly a demon, I will personally subdue him!”